new SSN card after Green card

new75

Registered Users (C)
Hi

I have a doubt filling form SS-5 for applying replacement Social Security card after getting Green card. In question 3, Citizenship which option should we check legal alien allowed to work or other.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Is it compulsary to change the SSN card after GC? What benefits do we have?

Please clarify?

new75 said:
Hi

I have a doubt filling form SS-5 for applying replacement Social Security card after getting Green card. In question 3, Citizenship which option should we check legal alien allowed to work or other.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

You should select "Legal Alien Allowed to work". That is what I checked when I applied for Social Security Card after getting my Green Card. I got my card in 10 days with the restriction(Work with INS Authorization only) removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
1204gc said:

Please clarify?

You can just show the SSN card(without the restriction - Work with INS Authorization only) and any other valid ID (driver licence) for employment.

1204gc said:

Please clarify?
Its not compulsory legally. It does not matter if the card says valid for work or not because their database is updated. The only reason why you should get it corrected though is because when you apply for loans, if you may have to show your card, it is better that it does not have any restrictions. It does not matter most of the time though.

But there is no cost of getting a new card, just a simple application to fill and stand in the queue for some time and you are done. So why not as well do it.

Does one need to wait for the actual greencard to arrive in order to apply for a new SSN card without the work restriction? Will a stamped passport suffice?

Thanks!