New SS card - Share experiences!

gcdayday

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

My wife and I got our passports stamped the first week of June. A few days after our passports were stamped we went to the SS office to get our new SS cards (one with out INS notification on it). They checked our status on their computer and told us that my wife's status shows as a resident while my status is still H1B so, my status will have to be verified with the INS. My wife recieved her SS card in the mail a week and a half later. I am still waiting for mine.

Could you guys share your experiences? I am worried that my I-551 may not be processed since INS has not yet updated their records. Could this be true? How can I get the status updated? I have called the national 800 number, they asked me to contact the local office. I called them but they, without even listening to me, told me that for any inquiries, I have to submit a form. Does it help to send in a status inquiry form to the local INS office?

Thanks

Originally posted by gcdayday
Hello,

My wife and I got our passports stamped the first week of June. A few days after our passports were stamped we went to the SS office to get our new SS cards (one with out INS notification on it). They checked our status on their computer and told us that my wife's status shows as a resident while my status is still H1B so, my status will have to be verified with the INS. My wife recieved her SS card in the mail a week and a half later. I am still waiting for mine.

Could you guys share your experiences? I am worried that my I-551 may not be processed since INS has not yet updated their records. Could this be true? How can I get the status updated? I have called the national 800 number, they asked me to contact the local office. I called them but they, without even listening to me, told me that for any inquiries, I have to submit a form. Does it help to send in a status inquiry form to the local INS office?

Thanks

Relax, you do not have to panic. You really do not need the new SS card if you already have an SSN and the old card (with the INS restriction on it). Since you have applied, wait for a few weeks and you wil get the new SS card soon. SSA will take some time to get updated records from BCIS.
Your status does not change if you do not have the unrestricted SS card nor are there any wonderful benefits if you have one.

SSN for underaged child

Hi, nkm-oct23,

My underaged daughter does not have a SSN (for tax purpose we got a tax ID number). Do we need or can we get a SSC for her?
Thanks in advance.

Re: SSN for underaged child

Originally posted by NSC485Oct
Hi, nkm-oct23,

My underaged daughter does not have a SSN (for tax purpose we got a tax ID number). Do we need or can we get a SSC for her?
Thanks in advance.

You should apply for SSNs for all family members who do not have them. You are required to stop using ITIN and start using SSNs once SSNs are available.

My ss has arrived at my address in one week

3 days After my passport got stamped (at the same day I received the approval notice), My family went to ss office, and everyone's status are in computers, and they just see our passports and wrote something from computers into forms and said that we will receive in 10 days. Maybe you just wait to see or ask service center.