New Procedures for Concurrently Filed I-140/I-485 Cases

SirZKaGC

Registered Users (C)
I took this from Sheela Murthi's Bulletin:

I have a request to the Forum members, as this is an interpretation of one of the lawyer & not exact wording of memorandum. I would appreciate if someone can post a copy memorandum that was signed by US government.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
New Procedures for Concurrently Filed I-140/I-485 Cases

There has been a significant change in the way that the USCIS Service Centers will process concurrently filed I-140/I-485 cases. In a March 31, 2004 memorandum (Ohata Memo), Fujie Ohata, Director of Service Center Operations, issued instructions to the Service Center Directors regarding certain procedural changes. Under the new procedures, a concurrently filed I-140/I-485 should be adjudicated together. Previously, the I-140 was reviewed on an initial, cursory level simply to identify any clearly frivolous cases. The I-140 was then adjudicated independently, without regard for the processing of the I-485. The cursory, or prima facie, review was performed to avoid improper receipt of the benefits of the I-485 filing, including obtaining an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) or Advance Parole (AP). Under this Memo, concurrently filed I-140/I-485 cases will be processed and adjudicated simultaneously.

I-140 Will Not Be Processed until I-485 is Ready to Be Processed

The Ohata Memo states that, even when the I-140 is ready for processing and placed on the 'ready to adjudicate' shelf, it will not be processed unless the I-485 is also ready for adjudication. The I-485 is not ready until the fingerprints and name checks have cleared. Essentially, the I-140 will be held in abeyance until these procedures have been completed in connection with the I-485. This raises significant concerns for the application of AC21 portability. AC21 portability, as interpreted under current USCIS memoranda, requires an approved I-140 and an I-485 that has been pending for 180 days. Thus, delaying the I-140 adjudication until the I-485 can be approved inevitably will curtail the ability to use AC21 portability in most cases under these current USCIS interpretations. Of course, since AC21 is only available for long-delayed cases, if the new process speeds adjudications to within a six-month period, AC21 portability is not an available option. While we would certainly favor case adjudications within fewer than 180 days, current processing times are approximately two to five times this timeframe. Thus, this may not be a realistic goal, at least in the near future.

RFEs on I-140 and I-485 Should be Issued Separately

The Memo directs that Requests for Evidence (RFEs) be issued separately on I-140s and I-485s, for legal reasons. If both the I-140 and I-485 are issued RFEs, the entire case will await the responses. If there is a response to the I-140 but not the I-485, the I-140 will be adjudicated and the I-485 denied. If there is no response to the I-140, both cases will be denied, whether or not there is a response to the I-485.

Prima Facie Review of I-140 Not Required in Non-Concurrent Cases

The Ohata Memo states that with a non-concurrently filed I-140, I-485, I-765 (EAD), and I-131 (AP) filings will continue to be processed as before. However, the Service Center Directors have discretion to end the prima facie review or modify the scope of that review. It is not clear from this whether the prima facie review would be eliminated in order to allow for complete case adjudication at one time. It would seem difficult to accomplish this, in light of the need for fingerprinting and background checks for the I-485. However, it is doubtful that the AP or EAD would be issued without some review of the basic legal sufficiency of the I-140 petition.

NSC’s Implementation of the Ohata Memo

The Nebraska Service Center (NSC) issued information regarding its plan to implement the new concurrent filing procedures. It has taken various internal reorganization efforts to permit the concurrent processing of I-140s/I-485s effective from April 30, 2004. The NSC notes that this was not part of the pilot program to adjudicate the I-140s/I-485s within 75 days of filing. The NSC also emphasizes that it anticipates a slow-down in processing non-concurrent I-485s, as they will be processing the concurrent and non-concurrent on separate tracks, giving priority to concurrently filed I-140s and I-485s over those that are not filed concurrently.

What Will Happen to Your Case?

At this point, it is not entirely clear exactly what this will mean for one's case. The purpose of the new procedures appears to be to reduce processing times and increase efficiency. Holding the I-140 adjudication until the I-485 can be approved, however, may end up slowing the I-140 processing. If the I-140 is not approved, then AC21 is held not to apply under current interpretations of the interplay between AC21 law and concurrent filing. If processing is not completed in a reasonable time, and AC21 portability cannot be used, this may mean that more cases will be denied if there is a termination of the employer’s sponsorship of the I-485 applicant, for any reason.

Given staffing shortages, whenever one type of case processing is given priority, another type suffers. This is what the NSC seems to be stating with their information about anticipated delays in those cases that are filed non-concurrently. Of course, if the I-140s and I-485s could be processed more quickly, time could be saved, as there would be far fewer requests for EADs and APs. Faster processing would also eliminate the need for AC21 portability since it would not apply if the I-485 is adjudicated within 180 days of filing.

>>>>>>>>>>
http://www.murthy.com/bulletin.html
>>>>>>>>>>>

Guys!!

Assuming that my 140 gets approved in May and then if I file for 485 ...is it going to be approved in 75 days (according to new rule) or 2yrs...

any guesses?

Seth

Mine also same case. I hope They will some how approve it soon.
I am applying in May for I-485. I-140 approved in a month.

Does this affect EAD

Hi!

Found out about this very recently. My I-140 and I-485 will be filed concurrently in the next few days at the NSC. Along with this I-765 will aslo be filed.

Yesterday a friend of mine told me that this was going to affect the issuance of EAD. Is there any truth in this? Also, I see that they are currently processing I-485 applications of Dec 2001. How exactly does this process effect the adjudication of I-140/I-485. Please tell me this doesnt in any way effect the EAD issuance.

Thanks,
RGS.

I140 approved

If the I140 has been approved, you won't get concurrent adjudication even you filed I140/I485 at the same time. This is what USCIS said.

Also, it doesn't matter whether you file the I140/I485 before/after 4/30/04. As long as your I140/I485 filed concurrently and your I140 has not been approved. They will be adjudicated at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: I140 approved

If it's true, then we will not see any I-140 approval in the next few months, for those who filed concurrently in 2003. NSC is still processing I-485's filed in first half of 2002. Do you think they will stop those old I-485's and adjudicate the new pending I-140/i-485 cases?

Just wait and see......

Originally posted by gcsuffer
If the I140 has been approved, you won't get Concurrent adjudication even you filed I140/I485 at the same time. This is what USCIS said.

Also, it doesn't matter you file the I140/I485 before/after 4/30/04. As long as your I140/I485 filed concurrent and your I140 have not been approved. They will adjudicate at the same time.

Re: Re: I140 approved

I don't think that they stop processing 2002 cases, but they may do the following

* Transfer more 2002 cases to local CIS field offices, this will increase the speed of processing.

* Adjucate more 2002 cases as they have merged I140/I485 units together and there is no separate I140 approval process.

Hopefully we will see some clear picture during the next few months.

Originally posted by mimihu
If it's true, then we will not see any I-140 approval in the next few months, for those who filed concurrently in 2003. NSC is still processing I-485's filed in first half of 2002. Do you think they will stop those old I-485's and adjudicate the new pending I-140/i-485 cases?

Just wait and see......

Yes I have already noticed that trend. only I140' having RFE, filed non concurrently etc are being approved.

NSC already mentioned that you could expect some delay in the 485 stand alone cases as a result of the new process of adjudicating concurrently filed I140 and I485 at the same time.

Re: Re: Re: I140 approved

Originally posted by lc2003
I don't think that they stop processing 2002 cases, but they may do the following

* Adjucate more 2002 cases as they have merged I140/I485 units together and there is no separate I140 approval process.

I assume I140 has been approved for 2002 cases. If it is true, the cases will be in a queue different from the I140/I485 filed concurrently. It may take longer to process 2002 cases. I hope I will get the GC in next few months.

140/485 Concurrent early march 2004

my applications were filed 140/485 Concurrent early march 2004
at NSC

I have the following questions

1. will my 140 / 485 be processed faster as per the recent memo.

2. In that case what is the effective use of EAD ? (will I need a AP at all?? even if I dont use the EAD for me or my wife ?)

3. Does this mean that receiving Finger printing notice from INS NEBRASKA would be the first step towards getting my 140/485 applications cleared ?

Re: 140/485 Concurrent early march 2004

1. will my 140 / 485 be processed faster as per the recent memo.

May be, but this process just started two days back so you got to wait 4 weeks to find some results.

2. In that case what is the effective use of EAD ? (will I need a AP at all?? even if I dont use the EAD for me or my wife ?)

I suggest you to get EAD/AP or whatever CIS is providing you at this time, we never know , in future the same EAD/AP processing may take longer time if I485 takes more time.

3. Does this mean that receiving Finger printing notice from INS NEBRASKA would be the first step towards getting my 140/485 applications cleared ?

That's true. We do not see any I485 approvals before Finger Print.

[/B][/QUOTE]

GeorgeMichael,

My case was also filed concurrently early March. Have you received EAD or seen any change in the date last updated field in online status? I'm hoping to atleast recieve EAD over next 2-3 weeks...

Bharad

Gymnastics on border line

Hi Guys,
My situation is similar to yours with 140, 485, 765 & AP concurrent filing. Posted application packet that can reach Nebraska INS on 28th April, 2004. Wating for receipt numbers. Can you guess, which side I will slip down? Will post once I received with RD and ND dates. See you later.

RD?
ND??
140 Approval Date ?????
485 Aprroval Date ???????????????

:) :) :)

I filed I-140/I-485/EAD together in August/03. EAD got approved in last Sept. But did not apply AP. Got rfe in Jan'04, USICS received response in early Feb.04. Still waiting for my I-140 approval. Meanwhile I received FP notice for 3rd week of May.

Is new memo will apply in my case? Do you think I will get my approval of I-140/I-485 together and how soon?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Akash Sharma
Do you think I will get my approval of I-140/I-485 together and how soon?

Thanks.

This is a question we all want an answer to ! :)

No, seriously, the new memo comes into effect from April 30th, so really no one knows how it is going to be implemented, it is yet early days. My personal feeling is that your cases (I140 and 485) may get approved 2 months after FP, so in July or ASugust this year. Keep your fingers crossed. You may be lucky one to benefit from the new memo !

Al the best,

sertra

Question for gc_suffer

Hello GC_Suffer,

Are you sure about this ????

va_lc_laborious

Originally posted by gcsuffer
If the I140 has been approved, you won't get concurrent adjudication even you filed I140/I485 at the same time. This is what USCIS said.

Also, it doesn't matter whether you file the I140/I485 before/after 4/30/04. As long as your I140/I485 filed concurrently and your I140 has not been approved. They will be adjudicated at the same time.