Neighbor Countries

cookiemonster

Registered Users (C)
I'm planning to visit a neighbor country from the one that I claimed persecution to meet some family members there.
Somebody told me that I can have problems coming back if I visit a neighbor country.
They told me that the asylum aproval letters that new asylees are receiving, state the you can NOT visit your country (which is obvious) and that you can NOT visit neighbor countries.

Any legal basis on this?

Thanks

Originally posted by cookiemonster
I'm planning to visit a neighbor country from the one that I claimed persecution to meet some family members there.
Somebody told me that I can have problems coming back if I visit a neighbor country.
They told me that the asylum aproval letters that new asylees are receiving, state the you can NOT visit your country (which is obvious) and that you can NOT visit neighbor countries.

Any legal basis on this?

Thanks
That is absolutely wrong.the only country you cannot go to and have your asylum status cancelled is the country you mentioned while filling for asylum,other than that you are indulged to travel anywhere in the world including countries which are adjacent to your home country. Have a safe trip whenever.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a copy of a March 2003 approval notice in front of me. There is NO such prohibition. The new letters are different from the old ones in that they now tell you that you do not need an EAD to work, you can get some public benefits and you may have to register for the draft.

So happy travel.