Need Urgent Help on passport stamping

newjersey

Registered Users (C)
My 485 was approved recently. About 1 year back, my H1 was extended and I received the courtesy copy of my H1 and my attorney had the original H1 approval notice. I asked my lawyer for the original H1 approval notice (which contains the I-94 form), so that I could go for my stamping. But my attorney misplaced the document. Will it be a problem if I go for stamping with the courtesy copy of my H1 approval (this does not contain the I-94 copy and has only the H1 validity period). If anyone had similar problem, appreciate if you could share your opinions and let me know I could resolve this issue.

Maybe you could ask your lawyer to request BCIS to send you a copy of that approval notice. You could call BCIS or go to your nearest BCIS office and ask them how to proceed.

Do you have previous i-94 (i-94 that was valid till the filing of extension of h1). as long as the expiration date on that is later than filing of your 485 application, you can just give that. if they ask for latest one just explain the situation in worst case you can apply for replacement i-94.

You should have a valid I-94 unless your I-485 was filed before the expiration of your I-94. If your I-485 was filed before the expiration date mentioned on the I-94 then you are OK ! At the time of stamping, the INS people hardly look at anything in your passport. They just take away your I-94, EAD and AP documents and stamp your passport.

I would suggest you to also talk to your attorney.

Hope this helps....

If you have any I-94 (usually the one when you enter US), it should be OK becoz the I-94 number remains the same even after renewal of H1.

When you go for stamping, IIO will take only the I-94 which was given while entering (at least in Newark).

Hope this helps.

That is incorrect. Each time you enter the country you are given a new I-94 number. You need to have your latest I-94 card (original)

RD:11/14/01
AD:05/27/03
PP: 06/13/03

you get a new i-94 number only when you leave and renter US. i-94 attached to h1b extension notice should have the same number that was present in your i-94 when you applied for h1 extension. so if you have not left the country after getting h1 extension the i-94 on h1-b notice is the latest one. and just extends the i-94 valid dates of the i-94 attached to your passport.

if you have left and reenetred US after your h1-b extension, the i-94 attached to passport is the latest one and it will have validity dates of your h1-b expiration.

Thankyou for your responses. I never left the country since I came here on an H1. Just before my 485 filing I got my H1 extension. Since I never had to leave the country , I did not pay too much attention on get the original H1 approval notice with the I-94 form attached to it. On my passport I have the I-94 from my first H1 (when I first entered the US) and not from the extension H1. Still my friends say that I need to hand over the I-94 form which is on the H1 extension approval. Is this true ?????. Does INS really ask for all the I-94's ?????

Originally posted by newjersey
Thankyou for your responses. I never left the country since I came here on an H1. Just before my 485 filing I got my H1 extension. Since I never had to leave the country , I did not pay too much attention on get the original H1 approval notice with the I-94 form attached to it. On my passport I have the I-94 from my first H1 (when I first entered the US) and not from the extension H1. Still my friends say that I need to hand over the I-94 form which is on the H1 extension approval. Is this true ?????. Does INS really ask for all the I-94's ?????

Your original H1 should've expired after you filed 485, right? In that case, your I-94 on the passport shows the date after your RD of 485. This situation is fine, as the officer will accept the expired I-94 as you've applied for 485 before the expiry of I-94.

My original H1 expired even before I filed for my 485. I applied for my 485 only after I got the H1 extension.