Need supporting documents for 180 days trips for N-400?

Mothla

Registered Users (C)
Do I need some extra documents to avoid any problems/questions in naturalization process? I had 2 separate trips to Japan in past 5 years. Each of trip was 179 days and 180 days (less than 6 months, but very close). For each time, I moved out my apartment for saving rent, and used my friend's address as my mailing address while I was out of US. I kept my bank accounts, but changed their addresses to the one in Japan to receive some financial reports. I kept my driver's license and filed tax returns with my friend's address of San Frnacisco. I had my re-entry permit for making sure that I can come back to US during both trips. I think I did not break any rules, but still not sure if I am safe about these long trips. Do I need to parepare any supporting documents?
Any advice is appreciated.

Hi Jackolantern,

My trips were as follows:
I made 180 days trip from June through December in 2007.
Stayed in US from December 2007 through December 2008.
I made 179 days trip from December 2008 through June 2009.
Now I am in US.

Good, those trips are far apart and under 6 months so you should be OK. Remember that your exit date and entry date are not to be included when counting the days outside the US (just mentioning this in case it brings the 180 day trip down to 179, because some IOs may think of 180 days as being equivalent to 6 months, so its best to stay below 180 if you can).

Hi Jackolantern,
Thank you for your advice. Actually I was not sure how to count the days. It is very important input. You commented I should be OK. That means I should be OK without any supporting documents? I appreciate if you clarify it. Thanks.

With 2 isolated trips of under 6 months, it is unlikely they will ask for supporting documents. But bring what you have just in case (like tax returns), although you don't have much. And be prepared to verbally defend yourself and point out that the trips were under 6 months and were not close together.

Do I need some extra documents to avoid any problems/questions in naturalization process? I had 2 separate trips to Japan in past 5 years. Each of trip was 179 days and 180 days (less than 6 months, but very close). For each time, I moved out my apartment for saving rent, and used my friend's address as my mailing address while I was out of US. I kept my bank accounts, but changed their addresses to the one in Japan to receive some financial reports. I kept my driver's license and filed tax returns with my friend's address of San Frnacisco. I had my re-entry permit for making sure that I can come back to US during both trips. I think I did not break any rules, but still not sure if I am safe about these long trips. Do I need to parepare any supporting documents?
Any advice is appreciated.

If your trips are job related, a letter from your employer explaining they sent you for the job might help.

-JS.