Need information for starting a business

Status
Not open for further replies.

search_2002us

Registered Users (C)
I am the primary and I-140 has been approved and 485 also filed. I have 2 questions
1. My wife is thinking of starting a C-corp business. Can I be a partner for that business while continuing with my day-time job.

2. If I take up a part-time job with my EAD card, what happens to my H1 visa (extended to 7th year by my company).

Originally posted by search_2002us
I am the primary and I-140 has been approved and 485 also filed. I have 2 questions
1. My wife is thinking of starting a C-corp business. Can I be a partner for that business while continuing with my day-time job.

2. If I take up a part-time job with my EAD card, what happens to my H1 visa (extended to 7th year by my company).

1. Yes once you get your EAD you can join the company as an employee/director but not as a partner since its not a partnership but a C-Corporation while keeping your primary job.

2. The moment you start using your EAD you should no longer be considered as an H1B dude and you've to use your EAD for your primary job too(I think you need to fill up form I-9, not sure about it)

I am on H1b. Can I start business as propriotor or as corporation?

Or with partnership of GC member?

Please answer, I will really appreciate it

Thanks

You can only start a business or become a partner in a business if you have a green card or EAD. Failing which you can only work for the business started by someone with the above requirements.

Can any of you post a URL or a document from an authoritative website about this topic, if you have seen any .. thanks!

Originally posted by eventually
Can any of you post a URL or a document from an authoritative website about this topic, if you have seen any .. thanks!
I don't think there would be any specific website or a document that would have "How to start business on I-485". Once you've your EAD or GC its the same process as it would be for a citizen so I'd suggest search in google or yahoo to get more info.

Thanks for reply

See some interesting discussion here

http://www.siber.com/sib/visas/usa-immigrant/H1andBusiness

I don't have other link, on which the person said that

You can own a company on H1, it is ok as long as you don't work for it. You can do only Admin work, but do not involve in core part.
In that case, you have employ some persons to do the work. But question is how to show profit you earn to IRS

Can we just show profit earned as income?

Thanks again

dhana8,

Don't you think you would be better off searching the internet or speaking with a lawyer? That would be the best place for information.

Status
Not open for further replies.