Need info... please respond

kudi magan

Registered Users (C)
I will be eligible to apply for citizenship soon.

I live in CT.

Did you guys hire a lawyer to apply or you are doing this yourself?

If any of you hiring a lawyer, please let me know the lawyer's contact info and how much they charge (if you can tell me).

If you are applying by yourself, please let me know how easy or tough it is.

Also, if you please throw some light on Status information letter from Selective Service System (sss.gov), I would really appreciate it.

I got my green card at the age of 31.

My info...

Received my GC approval letter on 03/12/2002.

When can I send my citizenship application? Can I apply 90 days before 03/12/2007?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Kudi Magan. :)

Hi there!

The N-400 application process is an easy "do-it-yourself" proposition. Unless you have had serious run ins with the law in the past, safe the money for a lawyer and spend it on a nice vacation ;-). The form itself is self-explanatory and www.uscis.gov offers an abundance of information regarding how to apply, when to apply, what documents to send etc.

Regarding the SSS status letter, others will probably chip in. I am not familiar with the process.

If you have not had any consecutive absences of 6 months or more, you can apply 5 years minus 90 days after you became a LPR. Look at your GC. It will state the date you became a LPR.

kudi magan said:
Did you guys hire a lawyer to apply or you are doing this yourself?

No lawyer needed. The N-400 application is pretty simple and any question you may have you can find the answer in this forum.

If you are applying by yourself, please let me know how easy or tough it is.

Very easy. Assuming that you don't have special issues, like convictions, felonies on your record and other "special" circumstances.

Also, if you please throw some light on Status information letter from Selective Service System (sss.gov), I would really appreciate it.
I got my green card at the age of 31.

SSS doesn't apply to you.

Received my GC approval letter on 03/12/2002.
When can I send my citizenship application? Can I apply 90 days before 03/12/2007?

Yes. I'll suggest 85 days before 3/12/2007 just to be safe that you don't make a miscalculation, and 5 days more or less won't make a difference.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Kudi Magan. :)

You have at least 10 moths to prepare your N-400 for mailing. Definitely you can do it yourself, you don't need a lawyer...in ten months, with the info you get from this forum and others, you can reinvent the N-400, not only fill it out. :)

LegalAlien99 said:
Add on: I would recommend you start with reading the "Guide to Naturalization" (http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/guide.htm). It will answer most of your questions in detail.

Just be aware that the CURRENT FILING FEE for N-400 is $400 (330.00 + 70.00 for fingerprints). The Guide might still state the old fee.

Cheers,
Nico

And since Kudi Magan will be eligible to apply for N-400 in mid December 2006, maybe will be wise to check the fees at that time, lately CIS is incresing the fee constantly in "compensation" for their increased level of incompetence :D

JoeF said:
:) I am constantly amazed that it is indeed still possible to increase the level of incompetence they display... it already is off any scale...

They have their own MACRO-scale which is beyond your level of acceptance and comprehension :D

Suzy977 said:
They have their own MACRO-scale which is beyond your level of acceptance and comprehension :D

So that means that they operate in a non-linear universe, where the laws of science don't apply? Up is to the side, down is on the inside, left is underneath, etc...?

Superho said:
So that means that they operate in a non-linear universe, where the laws of science don't apply? Up is to the side, down is on the inside, left is underneath, etc...?

...and truthfulness, logic and common sense laws don't apply to them...only to "aliens"... :D

Suzy977 said:
And since Kudi Magan will be eligible to apply for N-400 in mid December 2006, maybe will be wise to check the fees at that time, lately CIS is incresing the fee constantly in "compensation" for their increased level of incompetence :D

Hi Suzy977,

I could not agree more with you! "CIS is incresing the fee constantly in "compensation" for their increased level of incompetence". :p ABSOLUTELY. I am sure you have read my N-400 at VSC thread...PRIME EXAMPLE!! :mad:

Cheers,
Nico