need help with basics

astroligos

What are the downsides of OCI?
- particularly,
=> will there be any probelm in getting secret service clearance if someone needs for a job and he has OCI?
=> and hypothetically, if you are outside US(e.g.- India) and gets in some trouble(natural disaster/abduction/terrorist mess?!!!), will US government back off in helping you out given you have OCI???

I know these questions already have been asked in past and I tried to look through Sticky and old posts but i wasnot able to get clear answers. Any help will be appreciated.

- particularly,
=> will there be any probelm in getting secret service clearance if someone needs for a job and he has OCI?
=> and hypothetically, if you are outside US(e.g.- India) and gets in some trouble(natural disaster/abduction/terrorist mess?!!!), will US government back off in helping you out given you have OCI???

I know these questions already have been asked in past and I tried to look through Sticky and old posts but i wasnot able to get clear answers. Any help will be appreciated.

- What do you mean by 'secret service' clerance? I assume you meant simply 'Secret level' clearance, am I right? This is not a big deal and OCI should not prevent you from obtaining this.

- The US government will assist you provided you enter a foreign land using your US passport. Even if you don't they probably will still assist, but if you use US passport, they will certainly assist you.

- particularly,

Yes, there was a discussion on the security clearance issue, but no definitive conclusions. The consensus seemed to be that, yes, OCI may delay (or complicate) things, and if getting security clearance is your over-riding concern, may be you should stay with PIO and not get OCI.

Re. your second question, since US State Department clearly states that OCI is not dual citizenship, they will continue to treat you as US citizens and there should not be any problems in getting the kind of help you mentioned.

- particularly,

OCI does not make you a dual citizen. The word CITIZEN in OCI is a misnomer. it is nothing but a greencard issued by gov of India. US govt. does not consider OCI as dual citizenship.