Need Help to Apply for Citizenship for my Children

silicon

Registered Users (C)
My wife and I got the Citizenship Approval at San Jose, and we are going to take Oath by March 21, 2007.

My sons are still at greencard holders and they are less than 18 years(minor). Friends informed me that they automatically get citizenship when we get?

I have got following details from this forum. I do not know which one is correct and to follow.

Version 1:
"A child (under 18) of a USC who has permanent resident status in the US, is in the custody of the USC, and is under 18 is actually a US Citizen (or becomes one when the parent becomes naturalized). Look up section 320 of the immigration act (as amended in the late 90's or early 2000's) and download form N-600 (and read the instructions). It's the automatic pseudo-naturalization process for children."

Version 2:
"Do you have to file N-600, why not just applying for a US passport? When my wife naturalized (June, 06), folks at court told us that for children, either to file N600 or apply for a US passport either is fine. We applied for passport for my son and got an objection on birth certificate, we only sent in english translation and folks at passport office asked for the original (which is in different language) one. Any how, my son got the passport after sending the original birth certificate."

I have the following question:

How can I get them Citizenship?

Do I need to take them to Oath taking and apply for citizenship? I was told that US government will take away our GreenCard at Oath ceremony and give us application for Passport. The invitation letter is only for me and my wife. Do I need to go with them at oath taking and provide their GreenCard and get the application for Passport?

The second issue is that he may go to India for higher studies for 4 years - after Jun 2007.
Hence, I need to understand when to apply(Just after Mar 21st or we have to wait until our passport comes or we need to initiate different process after Mar 21st) citizenship for him and how to apply for it.

Please help me understand the process.

Thanks in advance,

Silicon

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, its true that a child holding LPR (GC) and resident with one or more parents who become USC, will automatically become a USC at the same time. Its automagic - no need for them to attend an oath ceremony etc, etc.

The question then remains how best to prove they have become citizens. The quickest method is simply to apply for their passport at any post office (requires both parents to be present, their birth cert and your Natz cert). Very quick and easy....

You may also wish to apply for an N-600 Certificate of Citizenship for the child, as this does not expire, and can be stored away safely (unlike a passport). The process takes much longer - possibly up to a year - and does require an interview at the local USCIS DO at the end of the process.

Hope this helps answer your questions.