Need Help Please

gmlions

Registered Users (C)
I am currently teaching in the US on a J1 Visa. I just got married to an american citizen in America. My Visa showes that the two year rule does not apply to me. What my question is , and i hope someone can help me.
What do i do next ?
We are first going back to my home country for a 2 week hoilday then when we get back i want to start all the paper work.
Is there anybody that has any advice for me ?

As long as u are certain that you are not subject to the 2yr HRR, you have no problems at all. Your spouse should just go ahead and file I130 for you and once it is approved you should file I485 to change status and register as a permanent resident, and patiently wait for your Green card.
Prior to travelling out as u have planned, ensure that your current visa is still valid so you don't have any problems with re-entry.

Thank you so much. Well my Passport and DS2019 states that the two year rule does not apply. SO i hope that is enough to go by. Do you suggest going through an agency to make sure all goes well ?
My J1 visa is still valid and only expires nest year , so i think i will be fine to leave and come back.

Remember to take ur valid DS2019 with you when u travel as u'll need to show it to the immigration officer at the port of entry on your way back. What are u thinking of using an agency for: filing your papers? you can do this yourself, but if you want to involve a 3rd party, then an immigration attorney is what you need, not an agency.

Ok will remember that. Yes that is what i meant going with an Immigration Attorney and let them take care of all the paperwork. They charge a bit extra , but you dont have to sit and worry about all the paper work. What do you think ?

sure, an experienced immigration attorney who knows what he is doing is always helpful, apart from their experience, it also takes a lot of burden off your 'neck'.