Need Help on Vistor Visa -please respond

Ramesh11

Registered Users (C)
For a Visitor visa When will Visa Expires ?.Is that the six months from port of entry or six months specified in the visa .what will happen if the person attends to consulate will they give VISA from the day attended or as specified in the DS-156 appliaction.
Thanks in advance

six months from date of POE

If the visa is issued for six months, the person is allowed to stay for six months from the date of entry. The date of entry should be before the expiration time in the visa.

rsatya

Thanks.

Does that VISA expiration date mean , pettioner should get into the country before Visa Expiry date.? and at POE they will decide on the duration of the stay?

Thanks again for your response

yes

Does that VISA expiration date mean , pettioner should get into the country before Visa Expiry date.?
----Exactly
and at POE they will decide on the duration of the stay?
--- Correct, usually six months

Date on I-94

6 months visa does not guarantee 6 months stay unless INS office at POE says the same, I-94 should have the date that a person can stay up to.......

Answer

Visa is usally only to enter this country, so it should be used to enter this country within the dates of validity mentioned in the VISA. At the POE the officer decides how long a person can stay in that country(I-94). One should leave the country before the date on I-94 expires or atleast apply for an extension(I-597). The VISA\'s purpose is only to enter the country other than that it has no value once the person is here.

Hope this helps

Thanks
Krishnan