Need help on 20yr validity Indian PP ASAP!!!

dilbert30

Registered Users (C)
Guys, I have used these forums for some years now (for H1B, GC, etc) and first off- thanks to everyone for their contribution and help.
I have a 20yr validity Indian PP and am a GC holder (I got my GC four yrs back). I had seen that the Indian consulate (atleast in SF a few years back) issued a statement that 20yr PP was valid and we could get our PPs reissued for no cost. Does that statement still exist on the CGI SF website??

I had not made any efforts to change my PP and have been traveling in and out of the US. Yesterday when I was returning, at the POE, i was grilled on why my pp was 20 yrs validity and the IO had never seen anything but 5 or 10yrs. He said he would run my GC to let me in which he did and had no problem.

I think i want to just get the PP changed to 10 yr validity.
I saw a link for new PPs in CGI SF website BUT am not able to open the online application. Any experiences or suggestions on this?

The situation is complicated since I have to travel again at the end of Jan to India and am very worried abt starting this new PP application at this time..

What would you guys suggest I do? This is the first time yesterday I even got asked abt this 20 yr passport thing altho I know this concern has existed. I came home and found that even the US consulate at Chennai says this is an issue but the 20yr valid PP should be recognized as ok.

Thanks for any help / suggestions
--dilbert