Need help! Not sure what to do now...

scottf

Registered Users (C)
Two weeks ago, I was asked to take unpaid leave of absence for an unspecified length of time. My employer said that they would call me back to work when they have new projects. They said that I am considered as their employee. And they are willing to help me out on my immigration process. But they don't know how long they will last. I filed my I-485 four months ago and my EAD just got approved recently.

Questions:
1. Should I look for another job now before the 180-day mark? What consequences does it have?

2. If I look for a new job, do I need to do the H1 visa transfer again provided that my EAD just got approved?

3. In terms of immigration and employment, what do you recommend me do at this point? What options do I have?

Thank you for your opinions.

You must be working for one of those Stupid too smart dumb a** Consulting firms,i had been through the same idiots

Questions:
1. Should I look for another job now before the 180-day mark? What consequences does it have?

You must look for the job ASAP, but no need to tell that to your company,be good with them always ,don't call for any trouble .It is not that they can do anything after the 180 -day period (but to just stick to the elders saying keep away from mad dogs).

2. If I look for a new job, do I need to do the H1 visa transfer again provided that my EAD just got approved?

It would be good if you can use H1 transfer for peace of mind, but with present job market ,if you find a company who doesn't do H1 but are willing to help you in Green card process (like giving the title,responsibilities same as your LC etc) i would just join them using EAD .

3. In terms of immigration and employment, what do you recommend me do at this point? What options do I have?

1)If i were U i would look for a job
2)Never tell that to old employer till the 180 day is over, after 6months as you are not paid you can ask Ur old employer that you got a offer and want to join him(this is not for his permission but just to make things smoother) .
3)If you get the job and your old employer is not cancelling your 140 you must be pretty safe .

GOOD LUCK :cool:

the above poster is right on

I would do exactly the same thing he say.
1. look for new job. don't tell old employer.
2. keep good relationship with them.
3.Look for detail explanations on AC21 act on murthy.com. there is lot of hope on that website, if your old employer goes belly up.

I can totally understand your situation. I myself will be perhaps forced to ride the same boat as yours in another month or two.

Good luck.

You guys are right!

Yes, my employer is one of those consulting firms. I knew that it was coming. But I was just taking my chance. Plus, I did not really have any option. Anyway, thank you for your answers. I will start looking for a job soon. Good luck to you all.