Need help assessing my situation - is US citizenship realistic in my situation?

lisgtw124

Context:
  1. 10yr GC holder and will be eligible to apply for naturalization (5yr condition) in mid-2026
  2. Currently have met 774 days / 913 days of physical presence test
  3. Recently completed a rotation with the ME office of my firm and am considering a transfer to the region (i.e., employment contract will be with the region). The job is the right fit for the current career stage and the company also has a US office.
  4. I can stay in the US for 2 months this year, 2 months in 2025, and 3 months in 2026 before my application, so the physical presence test will not be an issue.
  5. I will be going back to the US every 3 months (though I'd only be able to stay for 1-2 days) and meet the continuous presence test (technically, I understand)
  6. I will also maintain a lease for a place in the US for when I come back, and I also have some extended families (cousins) in the US
Questions:
  1. Would it be too risky to take this ME job considering my intent to apply for US citizenship?
  2. What else could I do if I really want to work in the middle east for the next 2-3 years?
This post ([this forum's title]/threads/applying-for-naturalization-while-working-abroad.308993/) gave me some slight hopes, but I would love to hear some additional opinions.

Thanks very much in advance.

The 914-day physical presence alone is not enough. You also need to maintain 'continuous residency' for the qualifying 5 years and also afterwards until you get sworn in.

One way to check whether you meet the residency requirement is if you look back the last 12 months, are you in the US for more than 184 days? And of course, the usual soft factors like ties to the country, bills, lease, etx.

If there was ever a period within the last 12 months where you did not get the 184 days, it can be argued that you have broken continuity, and the clock would reset. Or you would have to convince them otherwise.

The best course of action for citizenship purposes is to not accept any overseas opportunity until after you naturalize. But of course, you know your priority and what's best for yourself and your family.

I will be going back to the US every 3 months (though I'd only be able to stay for 1-2 days) and meet the continuous presence test (technically, I understand)
The danger here is that 1-2 days is so short that they might not consider that residence at all, so they might join your absences.

In certain situations if you are working for on contract with US govt, or an American company engaged in development of American trade overseas, you maybe able to maintain residence by filing N-470. Check requirements of the form to see if you qualify. But if you are just moving for employment overseas, maintaining a US bank account or a home will not overcome the residency requirement barrier.