Need experts help!!!

shail007

Registered Users (C)
Hello friends,
We have Canada PR since April 2005. We flew to calgary from california initially when we wanted to establish the residency. Now we are planning to move to canada from goods.
I have following questions and if someone can help answer them, would greatly appreciate it.
1) I dont remember if i declared anything in the goods to follow list. Can i still
provide goods of things that i own in US to canadian authority and get it to canada without any problems or additional charges?

2) I will be taking my car too which i own for last 6 years. Would that be a problem?

3) I heard new car/electronics stuffs are expensive in canada. Would it be advisable to buy new car and electronics and get it to canada? How much would be duty on that?

Appreciate if someone could answer this. Otherwise i would have to sell lot of things and that would be heartbreaking.

thanks everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Expensive to move to Canada?

Hi Shail,

In regards to question #3 I recommend you check a few websites like www.futureshop.ca to get an idea of the pricing. You can use www.xe.com to do currency conversion calculations online from US dollars into Canadian dollars.

In regards to questions 1 and 2 I don’t have much info at the moment although I am fairly certain you will have to pay a duty on brining your vehicle over the boarder. You might be able to find more information on this Canadian immigration website.

Hope this helps.