Need Canada Tax Info

Udupi

Registered Users (C)
Hello Friends,

Thanks a lot for all the info provided regarding US/Canada taxes. I am on Student Visa in US from India, working in Detroit, Optional Training Period. Landed in Canada in Jan 2002, got SIN Card and Opened a Bank Account in Windsor, came back to Detroit. Again went to Canada. in June 2002 with the intention for permanent moving and stayed there for 15 days @ friend's house, no income. Sametime got a job in Detroit. Again came back to Detroit. Later, my wife got an admission into Oakland University. So thought anyway there is 2 more years to move,
can move after my wife finishes her studies in 2004.

Just 2 days ago I received my W2 statement from my employer and yesterday I finished my US tax return. I want to file tax
return in Canada too. Though the International Tax Service Office Representative informed me that I do not have to pay
tax in Canada, I want to file tax return in Canada on my world income. I found it is too confusive.

Has anybody already filed Canadian tax, Can you help me out to figure out which Income Tax Form I have to use and which publication. I have to refer. Do I have to file Tax Return in Ontario also etc...

I sincerely appreciate the suggestions from tax payers.

Thank you very much

Udupi

Udipi,

I am not sure as to what the conversation was which transpired between you and the International tax office. But, I can assure you that as a Canadian PR, you are liable for Canadian taxes on worldwide Income.

Moreover you should have had your W2 a while ago? Per tax laws your employer was supposed to mail your W2 on or before Jan 31, 2003.

The below link will give you some details...

http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/tax/nonresidents/menu-e.html

You are supposed to file T1. and ofcourse your provincial (ON) returns.

Convert your US income to Canadian. The average exchange rate for 2002 was 1.57. So if you earned $50,000 in US
50,000*1.57=78,500 (This is your Income you have to use for Canadian Tax)

Once you have this form handy, call the international tax office, and they will guide you through filling the T1. when you are ready to mail the T1, make sure you include a copy of your W2, and your 1040/1040NR.

You can subtract you Federal, State and any city taxes you have paid.

Search on my previous posts, you will find more details.

Good Luck

Hello vault,

Thanks for information.

The International tax office representative asked me all tha details about my residency, working status, status in Canada, and ties in canada.

I received w2 forms in January itself, my employer deducted the US Medicare tax and Social Security tax from my salary, which he supposed not to deduct. Hence, those correction took sometime to reissue me corrected w2 forms.

Anyway thank you very much for info. if I need any other info I will contact you.

Regards
Udupi