need birth certificate in 30 days

aj2000

Registered Users (C)
went for the citizenship interview and was told to send photos and birth cert.
I do not have the birth cert with me, and was born in 60's.
Would it suffice if I:

- provide a affidavit from parents ?
or
- ask Indian Counsulate for the certificate

Please help !

went for the citizenship interview and was told to send photos and birth cert.
I do not have the birth cert with me, and was born in 60's.
Would it suffice if I:

- provide a affidavit from parents ?
or
- ask Indian Counsulate for the certificate

Please help !

Didnt you send pictures with your application?
i cant understand why they need your bc and additional pictures....

Yes I did submit the addition 2 photographs, and I saw it was there in my file in the envelope (during the interview).
I am more worried about the birth cert, is the one from Indian counsale good enough ?

do u have 10th class certificate? that has your age mentioned on it. Passport is another doc - what else can indian consulate give u? u should look at the GC rules on what to do if u don't have birth certi (affidavet from parents etc)

If your parents reside in the place you were born then things are a little easier provided they can do the work for you. IF it is a small town then they can get the BC in a few days because things move faster. If you were born in a metro then they may as well get the affidavit saying birth records are not available.

The visa rules for reciprocate country says if brith cert is not available (for India it is before 1970) then get an affidavit from parents plus a letter from the government stating that birth cert is not available.
Sounds wax... but I am not not sure which govt authority should I go to, the quickest is the Indian Consulate.

Hi aj2000,

It is my understanding that this birth certificate issue is very common in India, and I am pretty sure many of the visitors to this forum are from India too. Hopefully someone will give you a detailed answer of what steps to take. I guess this birth certificate issue will affect other visa applications, so, would it make sense to ask the green card forums or H1-B forums to see how people have dealt with birth certificate requests.

By the way, didn't you have to provide a birth certificate at time of Green Card?

My 2 cents.

OP, what did you use for your Green card ? Can't you use the same certificate ?

For my GC I submitted a certifcate from the Indian Consulate who used my passport as reference.

Later I obtained a birth certifcate from India which, I have a strong feeling, is fake (it's on stamp paper and all that, but I could have written it myself :) ). I was also born around the time you were, when hospitals didn't really keep records.

Anyway I didn't receive a query about my BC so I didn't have to use my "fake" certificate.

Even if you get the birth certificate from India, the date of issue of
BC will be current and NOT the date (or close to the date) you were born!

The same is the case with Indian Embassy in the US. This case is even worse.
You will just get a letter from the High Commissioner that you were born
on such & such date after verifying your passport & your high school cert.

This I found out when I was looking for my BC a couple of years ago for my
GC process. Finally I got two affidavits from people who were 10+ years older
than me. My application went through OK for GC.

Good luck & post your experience.
//

Birth Certificate for citizenship

Hi,
You need your parents to provide an affidavit that you are their child born on (Day, month and year) at ( place). You should be able to get a Non-availability certificate to show that your birth was not documented from the taluk or city corporation.The link below provides you wiith updated information on how to obatin an non-avaiability certificate.
http://www.immihelp.com/immigration/birth-certificate.html
Hope this is helpful.

Even if you get the birth certificate from India, the date of issue of
BC will be current and NOT the date (or close to the date) you were born!
//

That should be alright. I have obtained multiple birth certificates from my place of birth registrars office with different issue date and never, ever had a problem. Not many people have birth certificates that were issued around the time they were born (I might be mistaken on this). On the other hand a very old certificate might also be seen as possible fake, as probably it had fewer security features. Anyway, that's my take.

Not to make anybody too envious but in my case it is as easy as sending the registrars office an e-mail with my name, birth date and address and the type of birth certificate I want (literal, international, ...) and they send it to me by mail for free in a few days. On the other hand I have to say it makes me less careful about storing my birth certificate. Right now I couldn't say for the life of me where I have one in my home, and I'm sure I have two or three around.

The Indian expatriates lobby is more powerful than you think, you should exert pressure on government to treat you nicely, after all you send a bunch of money back to India and you deserve good service.

OP, what did you use for your Green card ? Can't you use the same certificate ?

For my GC I submitted a certifcate from the Indian Consulate who used my passport as reference.

Later I obtained a birth certifcate from India which, I have a strong feeling, is fake (it's on stamp paper and all that, but I could have written it myself :) ). I was also born around the time you were, when hospitals didn't really keep records.

Anyway I didn't receive a query about my BC so I didn't have to use my "fake" certificate.

For the GC I had given an affidavit from my parents and in-laws, now they want more proof (for Citizenship)

You could try using yourmaninindia.com to get your birth certificate in India. Many people (including myself) have used their services. They provide various kinds of services for NRI's and they are pretty good at what they do. It is a TTK company.

www.yourmaninindia.com

You pay a very nominal fee for using their service.

You could try using yourmaninindia.com to get your birth certificate in India. Many people (including myself) have used their services. They provide various kinds of services for NRI's and they are pretty good at what they do. It is a TTK company.

www.yourmaninindia.com

Thanks a lot. I will try them.

www.yourmaninindia.com

Cool..I wish I'd known about this earlier, I spent a year and a lot more money getting my "fake" certificate from India.