Need advise

ehuang

Registered Users (C)
My brother's asylum status granted at 03/19/97. One year later, his attorney helped hime file I485, No receipt number till now. I am wondering if it's reasonable. During the pending time, My brother applied the EAD and AP and granted several months later, which could approve his I485 still pending. ( otherwise. no reason issued hid EAd and Ap). Here is my questions:
1: How to check his cae with only A number, No receipt number?

Your brother should have got a notice of receipt. I think the lawyer has it but failed to give a copy to your brother. If your brother gets the receipt number, here is a web site that he can visit to inquire about his case: http://www.immigration.com/frame/inscasestatonlinefr.html
The lawyers usually get the original copy of the receipt and they are required to surrender a copy to their clients. Otherwise, your brother's lawyer may be keeping the file and the notice to ensure that he gets paid.

Originally posted by ehuang
My brother's asylum status granted at 03/19/97. One year later, his attorney helped hime file I485, No receipt number till now. I am wondering if it's reasonable. During the pending time, My brother applied the EAD and AP and granted several months later, which could approve his I485 still pending. ( otherwise. no reason issued hid EAd and Ap). Here is my questions:

Simple question - simple answer:

Your brother should call NSC at 402-323-7830 and talk to an Immigration Officer. His A number is all they need to check the status of his I-485. He could even ask for the receipt number if the I-485 was filed.
Most likely he will find the line busy. Must keep redialing until his call gets through, and stay in line until he finally talks to somebody. The process could take up to 45 minutes or 1 hour.
Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
hi Alanpro,
Any news about your approval letters? I remembered that you had your finger print notice almost the same time as Gilbert. Good luck

alanpero1 & shamshon
Thanks for your information. I double check from his attorney, He said he didn't received it. I am calling the NSc number you provided for me. Can't get through. I will keep calling and post the any information once I get it.
Again, Thanks

Originally posted by shamshon
hi Alanpro,
Any news about your approval letters? I remembered that you had your finger print notice almost the same time as Gilbert. Good luck

Nothing yet Shamshon. I will post any new I receive.

Originally posted by ehuang

If filed before July 1998, there was no regular receipt and the computer system might be not be properly updated.

ehuang , do exactly what alanpero1 told you, I am in the same situation and I did exactly what Alanpero told you to do.
I never received notice of action, so I called INS, I gavce him my alien number, he was able to find my I-485 file, he gave me the case number and that's how i am checking my case.
hope this help