Need advise - passport expiring in mid march 2008

gc_imstressed

Registered Users (C)
Hello All,

Passport expiring in mid of march 2008. Going to India for 4 weeks starting sept 30, 2007.

Will I have any problem at port of entry while returning with passport that has less than 6 months of validity period ?

Should I have to renew my passport before I start my trip? If so then I have only one week to renew it. Will request to expedite renewing the passport at Indian embassy at San Francisco be accepted ?

Please advice.
=====================
GC got approved in Jan 2007
=====================

Your green card is the only document you need to enter the United States. Often, the CBP agent will stamp your passport upon entry. They do that to make it easier to apply for citizenship, as you need to list each exit/entry on the application.

If your only concern with the soon-to-expire passport is entry into the US, I would put off renewing it until after you've returned.

mdh

That 6 months passport rule is so they can feel comfortable that you won't have problems going back to your own country (or moving on to a third country) at the end of your visit to the US. When you have a green card, they have no such concern; you have the right to stay in the US for the rest of your life.