Need advice on a little complication

MIA_BOS

Registered Users (C)
Hello all,
I am a newcomer here, and I tried to read the previous posts as much as possible to find answers to my questions. Even though I learnt a lot on the way, I could not see the relevant info for my questions.

I am currently in Florida with an H-1B, and I recently got married to my love of many years who is a USC. We are going to apply for my GC via her sponsorship. We intend to do it ourselves to save money instead of using an attorney, but I need suggestions in 3 things:

1. My wife was born and raised in Miami, where we met, and where I still live and work. Complication is: My wife is attending medical school in Boston, MA right now. She has been living there for the last year, and on our marriage certificate, her address is her Boston address and my address is our Miami address. We visit each other every month; sometimes I go, and sometimes she comes. I will move there to be with her as soon as I get a job there, and EAD would definitely help for that. What address do we write on the applications? Where do we file from? Can we put our address in Miami for both of us, since she is in Boston for school? Or alternatively can we put her Boston address for both of us? Or do we have to put our Miami address for me, and her Boston address for her? What is the best way to go without getting things complicated?

2. Since my wife is still in school, she does not make anyt money, so she cannot financially sponsor me in the Affidavit of Support. I make more than enough money and I have been working with H-1B since 2003. Can we use my income for the Affidavit of Support? I saw somewhere that we need to be living together for more than 6 months for that to happen, so how do we go about this one? Do we need another sponsor in this case, or is my income will be accepted?

3. If we apply from Miami, FL and I manage to get a job in Boston, MA before the interview, what happens next? Do we need to submit any forms again and lose time and money?

I know this is a bit long, but I could not locate the information for this kind of specific case, so your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance

1. You can put either address if you want. Personally for me, I would put the Miami address because you have to go for fingerprint first before you get the EAD. Then after you get the EAD, look for a job, if you can find one, the send the change of address(AR-11) to Boston. This will delay your application process but it's more convinience. It's up to you. Or you could put Boston address but you have to go to Boston for fingerprint/bio and interview. If this isn't a problem and you want a fast process, then I would go this route.

2. Even though you make a million dollar a year, you cannot sponsor yourself. You have to find a relative or her realtive who would sponsor you. I know it sucks but that's what they want.

3. See number 1.

mikew151 said:
2. Even though you make a million dollar a year, you cannot sponsor yourself. You have to find a relative or her realtive who would sponsor you. I know it sucks but that's what they want.
In this case I believe this is true. A sponsored immigrant can only use their income to meet the poverty level if they live with the petitioning relative. However if they do live with their relative, its perfectly fine to "self sponsor", I myself did it because I've worked in the US for 7+ years, whereas my wife is a student with no income.

2. u could use your income to "sponsor" your aos by completing and signing I-864A, Contract Between Sponsor and Household Member. Technically, you are not sponsor yourself cos you are not a USC or LPR. What you need to do is get an employment letter from your employer, showing that your job is permanent one and you earn enough money to meet the requirement. Also you need to have your most recent tax form and pay stub. I did this after consulting an immigrant lawyer.

riversrun, that would only work if he actually was a household member though wouldn't it? He's stated he doesn't live with his wife, so cannot be a "household member".