need advice for the J-1 Waiver

shaid

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I have J-1 visa. I came to USA on Sept 2006. My J-1 visa expires on Sept 2009. My job contract also expires on Sept 2009. I am not a medical professional. I am not getting money from USA agency neither any scholarship from my permanent residence country.

I applied for the J-1 visa from European country (my pertinent residence country is Pakistan). When they issued visa they did not specify 212 section on my visa. Two months later my wife applied for the visa from Pakistan then they wrote on her visa that 212 applies . I work in a university. Me and my Professor are agreed to change my visa status to H1B with the current job contract that could be extended more. At this moment I do not know whether I am subject to 212 section. Should I submit my documents for advisory opinion. In that case should I contact to a layer or should I do myself. If I do myself then what documents are needed to be submitted for the advisory opinion. Do I need a recommendation letter from my university department.

In the case If I am required to apply for the waiver. Should I get my case number first or should I get NOC from Pakistani embassy.

Or it is too early to think about to change my visa status?

Hi

I am from India and got my J-1 visas three times from US Embassy in London. First two times- they did not stamp any and third time they stamped i am subject to 212.

I took a advisory opinion and they say I am subject. Consular officers of US embassies in Europe either dont bother or dont know whther your are subject or not. I recommend you not to WATSE ur tIME by seeking Advisory Opinion. Better check with US state dept and I believe most of developing country people are subject- under skills List. So u better start applying for NO objection Certificate from your Country.

See ur Pakistan embassy website in USA and they will all have details. There is no need of Lawyer.

email me if u need more information.

Lakshmanan

thanks Lakshmanan for your reply.

Today, I called at the Pakistani Embassy about the NOC letter that they gave me a reference of the the application form for the NOC as below:

http://www.pakistan-embassy.org/forms/No Objection for PHD.pdf

They said fill it and send to us.

Still I am confused which activity should be started first
to get my my case number
or
to apply for the NOC letter

One more question: Am I thinking too early for the waiver?

thanks,
Shahid