need advice about AP or H1-revalidation.

GCWanted

Registered Users (C)
Hi everybody,

Recently I got my H1-b extension. In Dec\'01 I have to go india for a small
trip.
As I am not feeling comfortable to get it stamped in india.

Based on current situations and processing times, if I sent my H1-B for
revalidation and apply for AP, which one will first approve ?

Any suggestions really appreciated.

For AP, it depends...

To revalidate your H1 visa, it may take around 45 days or so (which I did recently)..For AP, if you are in Boston it will take 1 day. My wife\'s took around two months. I am not sure if VSC recently became faster in approving AP !!? May be someone can answer your question.

I am planning to go India next month and have a valid H1 and my attorney told me to go on H1 instead of AP (bcse of some damn reasons, I don\'t want to go into details now).

The answer remains, if you are in one of the faster regions where you can get AP, then get it.

Good luck....

Revalidate it in India...

I did this mistake this year. I did not want to get stamped in India and came back on Company A VISA valid only till May 2001. Did Revalidate the H1 by April 2001 to Company B which was valid till Jan 2003, I thought I am fine now. But my I-94 expired and I did not observe it. While filing 485 last month my Lawyer told me that me and my wife are out of status for last 145 days and we have to leave the country and reenter US, I was worried as this was just after a week of Sept 11th. So I visited Canada (Visitor VISA) for a day to see the Niagara and got a new I-94 card, it was cool. Now I have filed for 485. But I had to spend $700 for one day trip to Canada and then all these tension on head. If I would have got it stamped it in India then it would have been fine. If you have the right papers then there should be no problem to get it stamped it in India. Good luck.

Not complicated

Your AP could take as long as 2-3 months to get approved..... tricky. However, if you go to your local INS office and say it\'s for emergency purposes, then you should be able to get it on the spot.

On the other hand, if your current H1B stamp on your passport is valid beyond December 01, then you can come back on that. If the stamped visa has expired, then you\'ll most probably need to get a new one on your passport, which could be tricky coz you have already applied for your I-485. If I\'m not mistaken, when you fill in the application for an H1B visa, they ask if you have applied for permanent residency - in which case you have, and so risk being turned down.

I would recommend you take the first option I have listed above.

What is the procedure to apply for an AP at local INS office ?

Thanks for replies.
If I want to get it from local INS office then what is the procedure
for that ? What kind of documents do I need for that ?

Any Help appreciated.
Thankx.