Naturalization requirements

dvedapudi

Registered Users (C)
Thanks to gabby2001 and JoeF for the previous replies on this issue. I am looking at my options to maintain GC status for naturalization. Feedback on my case below is most appreciated.

Like I said I got my GC 1.5 years ago and now am faced with an assignment in India. It will be another 6 months before I ago, so I will have 2 years of Physical Presence in the US before I go to India. If the assignment is for 2 years, can I file a N470 to preserve Continuous Residence and get a ReEntry permit so I can file for Naturalization when I come back? I will obviously have to wait for another 6 months after coming back before I file N400 to satisfy the 2.5 years of Physical Presence and 5 year GC requirement. Is my reasoning correct here or am I missing something? Thanks for the help, Dee

Re: N470 question

many thanks, JoeF! the feedback helped! i have one other question in regard to my situation - once i file a N470, can i have a foreign income for the duration I am outside the United States or do I have to have income in US dollars for tax purposes. I ask this because one of the clauses of N470 states that for the duration I am outside the US I cannot claim 'Non Resident alien' status on the tax returns. In my case can I take an Indian Compensation package for the duration I am there or do I have to continue being compensated in US dollars? Thanks, Dee

In addition to your salary, you also need to delcare all foreign income, including interests and dividends from your foreign bank accounts/investments.