Naturalization Ceremony email -- True or not?

ocworker

Registered Users (C)
I received a very strange email from DHS.gov regarding naturalization ceremony.

First, it looks like a SPAM email to me. Second, I can't find they have the naturalization ceremony scheduled on Sept 28 in Quiet Cannon (Montebello) at 8am.

it said (i skipped some of them from the email)

"You should receive your ceremony notice in the mail. If you do not receive
the notice, please bring this e-mail with you to the ceremony. Please
ensure that you bring with you your green card for verification."

I am going to make a call to 800 CSR to check what's going on. Either I got spam or USCIS gets hacked and got my email.

Oh well.. just wanted to make sure ppl should be very careful on this kind of email.

Last edited by a moderator:
JoeF said:
Well, it may well be that they scheduled another ceremony.
It seems that recently, they have started to speed things up. A friend of mine recently got naturalized in San Diego, and they told him at the end of the interview that the oath ceremony would be 3 days later...

have you heard that USCIS would send email to info applicants on the oath schedule?

I just do not want to be stupid enough going to there at 8am on Sep 28 and got killed by some gangs. :(

By the way, per the email, it said "You should receive your ceremony notice in the mail. If you do not receive the notice, please bring this e-mail with you to the ceremony".

Is it a usual pratice or it is a new way, or it is just a fake email at all?

i am going to schedule an info pass to ask the question. if i can't get an appointment, I might be "walk-in".

It also seems a bit short time notice.

I will find out more but I do not hold my hopes high thou

by the way, i thought the email address should end with uscis.gov rather than DHS.gov.

interesting -- how did they get my email if it is from a spammer??

Guess what??

That email is REAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The reason I said is I received the oath letter!!!

I am just TOO HAPPY and I was so surprised about that email. I tried not to put my hopes high.

Thanks for everyone helping me in past months!!!!

THANKS and good luck to everyone.

Oc

Congratulation for finally receiving Oath Notice.

I told you many times that don't worry too much and keep some patience.

I thought your "adventure" with immigration would come to end once you become a US citizen, but I guess I was wrong as you are seemed to be still craving for more FUN with them as you desire to go after them for K-1/K-3 visa. When you will be ready to go for that "adventure" with USCIS, then contact me. I will guide you accordingly.

Good Luck and Enjoy.

JohnnyCash said:
Congratulation for finally receiving Oath Notice.

I told you many times that don't worry too much and keep some patience.

I thought your "adventure" with immigration would come to end once you become a US citizen, but I guess I was wrong as you are seemed to be still craving for more FUN with them as you desire to go after them for K-1/K-3 visa. When you will be ready to go for that "adventure" with USCIS, then contact me. I will guide you accordingly.

Good Luck and Enjoy.

Thanks Johnny. During the past 2 months, I learned something very important, which is to have faith in God and patience waiting.

I sure will contact you. keep in touch. Thanks again for all your and others helps at all.

JoeF said:
I sure hope so :)
BTW, I looked up that Quiet Cannon hall. It seems to be a pretty upscale banquet hall. And there is a golf course right next to it, so that's probably not a place for gangs...
http://www.quietcannon.com/

hee hee.. that is a nice upscale place. however, when i got that email, it did not click in my mind. all i was thinking -- spam / april fool (it is Sept thou) / setup.
hee hee..

i would be a busy day after the oath.. i would have to go to SSA to change my name on SS, then go to get a passport. I think I might be able to change my DL with the naturalization cert. Do i need to have the new SS card before I can get a new DL?

i better go there earlier to avoid the traffic. traffic is bad on FWY 60 East in the morning

ocworker,
CONGRATS!
best of luck with the K visa.
I think you may have mentioned e-mail Id in your N-400 form.
thats why they may have send you an email

soccer101 said:
ocworker,
CONGRATS!
best of luck with the K visa.
I think you may have mentioned e-mail Id in your N-400 form.
thats why they may have send you an email

Thanks. Yes I put down my email address in the N-400 form. the email i received today looks like a SPAM email :p

If you so much believe its spam email, please delete it and forget it.

About the gangs, do you honestly think they are just sitting and lying in wait for you to come to naturalize and then pouce on you? Dont you think they have better strategies than that? If thats their MO, maybe cops can pretend they are coming to naturalize and go and get them!

I think you are just trying to make this whole USCIS more flavory and exciting.

I would wait for the letter and then verify with the DO before deleting the email.

Mandazi said:
If you so much believe its spam email, please delete it and forget it.

About the gangs, do you honestly think they are just sitting and lying in wait for you to come to naturalize and then pouce on you? Dont you think they have better strategies than that? If thats their MO, maybe cops can pretend they are coming to naturalize and go and get them!

I think you are just trying to make this whole USCIS more flavory and exciting.

I would wait for the letter and then verify with the DO before deleting the email.

first of all, I was not trying to make the whole USCIS more flavory and exciting. In fact, I can't wait to get over it.

If I thought about gangs would have better strategies than what I guessed, I would not even post the msg on the board.

Anyway, it is not important. As my subsequence posts, I said I received the letter from DHS regarding attending Oath on next wed.

zeeman said:
I guess slow and staedy wins the race

Thanks!
I guess it was not a long wait for the background check to be completed after the interview. However, the past 2 months waiting was just like a heck of experience.

zeeman said:
I guess slow and staedy wins the race

I saw you are from NYC. my friend had her interview this April in NYC and she submitted her application around april 2004. She got her interview notice around Nov / Dec 2004. She got her oath letter and had her oath in the same month of her interview.

just thought u might want to check out someone else timeline for comparsion.

good luck in your case too.

Congratulations

ocworker, I just wanted to congratulate you on getting your oath letter.
I know it's been a long road for you, and you've given others (and me) lots of useful info.

:)

saw you are from NYC. my friend had her interview this April in NYC and she submitted her application around april 2004. She got her interview notice around Nov / Dec 2004. She got her oath letter and had her oath in the same month of her interview.

just thought u might want to check out someone else timeline for comparsion.

good luck in your case too.

yes , I check other timelines and they are a little ahead of me. My Priority date is Oct of 2004 and I guess they are not up there yet. NYC is way behind like always

Thanks anyways

question to ocworker

ocworker said:
That email is REAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The reason I said is I received the oath letter!!!

I am just TOO HAPPY and I was so surprised about that email. I tried not to put my hopes high.

Thanks for everyone helping me in past months!!!!

THANKS and good luck to everyone.

Congratulations!
You give me hope!!!

I was so depressed since I came back from N400 interview last week. The officer told me my background check was pending and she didn't know how long it would take. I searched this forum and soon learned that people can be stuck in name check for 1-3 years. I don't even know what's the status of my name check. I sent email inquiry to FBI but didn't expect them to reply in 6-7 months. How could I find out when USCIS sent out my name check request to FBI? Do you think you did anything special to expediate the process? Did you set up infopass to visit local office?
Please let me know. Thanks so much!!!

shannon02115 said:
Congratulations!
You give me hope!!!

I was so depressed since I came back from N400 interview last week. The officer told me my background check was pending and she didn't know how long it would take. I searched this forum and soon learned that people can be stuck in name check for 1-3 years. I don't even know what's the status of my name check. I sent email inquiry to FBI but didn't expect them to reply in 6-7 months. How could I find out when USCIS sent out my name check request to FBI? Do you think you did anything special to expediate the process? Did you set up infopass to visit local office?
Please let me know. Thanks so much!!!

Hi, I think in nowadays, USCIS schedules interview as quick / much as they can regardless if they receive the background back from FBI yet or not. The reason is once they get thru interviews with applicants, the case is (sort-of) off their back till background check is returned from FBI.

you can post your timeline and we can have some guess on what the situation could be. I did not do anything to expediate the process at all. I just thought they might profile a specific group of nationalities. Mine might not be on the list.

I visited local office for an infopass appointment in end of Aug. The infopass officer told me there had nothing pending. They told me the date they sent the background, and when they received it. However, the "sent-date" was on Sunday. At that moment, I did not really believe what they said.

I suggest few things

1) do not push hard to USCIS
2) stay low until 120days period is over
3) you can visit your local office once every 2 months.

the bottom line is, patient. some prayers would work.

Wish you all the best.

by the way, what is your DO?

ocworker said:
Hi, I think in nowadays, USCIS schedules interview as quick / much as they can regardless if they receive the background back from FBI yet or not. The reason is once they get thru interviews with applicants, the case is (sort-of) off their back till background check is returned from FBI.

you can post your timeline and we can have some guess on what the situation could be. I did not do anything to expediate the process at all. I just thought they might profile a specific group of nationalities. Mine might not be on the list.

I visited local office for an infopass appointment in end of Aug. The infopass officer told me there had nothing pending. They told me the date they sent the background, and when they received it. However, the "sent-date" was on Sunday. At that moment, I did not really believe what they said.

I suggest few things

1) do not push hard to USCIS
2) stay low until 120days period is over
3) you can visit your local office once every 2 months.

the bottom line is, patient. some prayers would work.

Wish you all the best.

by the way, what is your DO?

Ocworker, thank you for your reply. You are right that USCIS schedules interview so quickly nowdays.

Here is my timeline:
DO: boston
PD: 4/23/2005
FP: 7/12/2005
Interview: 9/13/2005
Oath:???

I came from China and have a very common last name and first name (can't blame my parents for that ). That's why I suspect my name could be a easy hit in FBI database.
So the infopass officer did tell you when they sent background and when they received it. Does background check = name check? Did they send the background inquiry after your FP? Is your infopass officer the same person who interviewed you? Can I write a letter to the interview officer after 120 days?

shannon02115 said:
Ocworker, thank you for your reply. You are right that USCIS schedules interview so quickly nowdays.

Here is my timeline:
DO: boston
PD: 4/23/2005
FP: 7/12/2005
Interview: 9/13/2005
Oath:???

I came from China and have a very common last name and first name (can't blame my parents for that ). That's why I suspect my name could be a easy hit in FBI database.
So the infopass officer did tell you when they sent background and when they received it. Does background check = name check? Did they send the background inquiry after your FP? Is your infopass officer the same person who interviewed you? Can I write a letter to the interview officer after 120 days?

the common firstname-lastname would get more hits. however, it is very little we can do about that.

the infopass officer is not the one who interviewed me. i was told the infopass officers are subcontractors. i might be wrong.

I asked them when my background was send and was received and she told me the info. I had doube on what she said so I did not pay much attention on it.

General Public is familiar with the term "background check" rather than "name check". however, they are the same.

At the end of my interview, my interview officer asked me to write to her directly (she gave me a paper which saying I passed the exam but decision was not made.. with her name and title) if I have not heard from her after 120 days starting the interview day.

I wonder if it made a different because I visited the infopass; the infopass officer told me nothing was pending but decision was not made. she took a copy of the form i received during the interview, and she said she would request a decision / inquiry to the interview officer about my case.