Name Correction - suggestion

NJ1485MM

Registered Users (C)
My name in indian passport and INS-BCIS-USCIS are not in same order.
eg) In PP: FirstName MiddleName LastName <- this is correct
In 485: MiddleName LastName FirstName
(485 has my middle name as firstname,

I would like make it consistant in everywhere. Please let me know any suggestion like how do it or contacting a good lawyer ....
(My emp attorney is the screwed it, and he advised me to wait till 485 approval, so this does not delay it!)

If anyone has any experien in regard it will be greatly helpful, give me headsup.

I searched in this site, got few but no specific reason given and no replies posted for my queries as well.

By any chance are you from South Karnatak. This is typical problem faced by people from this area. How did you write your name in I-485 application?
My wife's name had little problem She had wrong middle initials put. But at the time of stamping we told the officer and he corrected it without any questions. Hers was just initial. But if the whole name is changing then talk to an attorney.Because whole security check is done using name.

This problem is common for many people from south india (especially Telugu people). I have the same problem. My first name and middle name are interchanged by me in SSN (compared to passport) . Till now i had no problems and i have decided to settle this issue after getting GC.

See the below example (i am using our chief minister's name :) ) :
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Person's name in passport :
Last name : Nara
given name : chandra babu naidu
(my passport does not mention any first name)
If that is my name, nobody in my place ever calls me "chandra" which should be my first name as per american standards. So i come here and write my first name as "Naidu" and middle name as "Chandra Babu" because every one calls me as "Naidu" and most of my certificates list my name as N C B Naidu (in my state, last name is written ahead of the actual/first name). So my SSN, credit history, employment records etc go by the name "Naidu C Nara" while my Drivers licence and Greencard will go by "Chandra B Nara" (how unfortunate that the other first name does not appear even as middle initial). My story is exactly same (having a long name consisting of 3 words excluding the last name).

Last edited by a moderator:
name swap

I am a 2nd gen TN, but from north. PP form used be like name (expanded initials): in 1993, no given name, last name . The new forms has family name and given name, which is good, it solves this confusion little bit.

Other general issue with the names in south india is almost all of the certificate (& ration card which is critical for you PP !) has initials except PP which has expanded name.

Thanks for the post guys, here are following link I collected so far on names.

http://www.murthy.com/names.html

http://uscis.gov/graphics/aboutus/history/articles/names.htm

http://uscis.gov/graphics/fieldoffices/cherryhill/gcrenewal.htm

dsatish

My case is almost like your case, consistantly swapped, SSN, LICENSE, INSURANCE..... I go by converted last name in US at work, which is actually the firstname :). Calling by lastname is little weird for my co-workers, I explained it and they got used to it.

I tried to change in SSN but they said they said letter from INS ...

Oh we'll find a way

Dsatish

Another With the same issue. Thanks for posting this.
I wll do the same.
Given name has both names(Middle and first name).

Thx

I have heard funny stories from my cousin about name problem if some one calls husband's name then wife has to respond. If they call my cousin's father name then he has to respond.

Satish how are you planning to handle this? By changing the name? By informing the CIS and asking them to modify all documents?

Last edited by a moderator:
tammy,
Any person can change the name legally. If i do it now and inform BCIS, then they will sit on my file for 3 years (because they have to redo a lot of stuff). So i will change my name (change the one in passort) after getting GC. Changing the name is a simple procedure. You just goto a court, fill out a form , submit the application with relevant attachments and fees. You will get the approval letter within a month or two. Then use that letter to change your name in your GC, DL etc. They will simply issue a replacement card(at that time you don't care if they take 2 years for that, because you will have a copy of your GC).

Immediate help/Guidance -DSATISH/GURUS

Hi
I have the same problem with NAME and need your advise:
I will use your example NARA CHANDRA BABU NAIDU to explain my problem(s):
My passport has
SURNAME: LASTNAME ( NARA)
GIVEN NAME: MIDDLE and FIRSTNAME (CHANDRA BABU NAIDU
)

As of now, all my record except DRIVERS LICENSE has the following name:

NAIDU.C.NARA. which is what I like and it used to be:

These days, I am hearing this name problems a lot. My greencard petition is pending and it has the above name (NAIDU.C.NARA.)

But NJ DMV issued a drivers license as CHANRA..N.NARA.(because of passport). I tried to show my SSN as proof and they told me to change in SSN.

We recently had a baby boy and now I am puzzled how to write my name in the birth certificate under's father name column.
They need two photo ids and one of them is Driver's license and if I show that i have to go with CHANRA..N.NARA.

Any one had similar problems, Please help help me immediately as I have to decide it and inform the hospital.

Sometimes, I think GIVEN NAME means only FIRST NAME.. is it correct.

Once again

I do understand that this is not the forum to discuss this issue,but as i saw a thread for name correction.

Any thoughts or any one in the same/similar position...

Advance Thanks
kandy

Re: Once again

Originally posted by kandy17
I do understand that this is not the forum to discuss this issue,but as i saw a thread for name correction.

Any thoughts or any one in the same/similar position...

Advance Thanks
kandy

I would go with the name in the passport, as it is the official identification of your citizenship. You can change everything else here based on the passport.

Re: Re: Once again

Once we get the GC (Plastic Cards) then we can change Name as it as Birth Certificate.
Recently I got approved my GC , while stamping they verified my Information. I asked them I need my full name(First, Middle, last names) on card then she said that once you get the cards, bring the Birth Certificate then we can chage.

Thank you guys.

Thank you to ar888 and India-USA

Now I am not sure when I will get my green card but for now I will keep whatever it in My Passport( As I dont have time to correct it).

I came to know that we can change name in our passport by going to INDIAN EMBASSY IN NY.
I will look into it.....

My 485 RD : Jan8,2003
ND: Jan31,2003.

I am not even close to the approval...

Once again thanks for taking some time to understand my problem.

What about just one alphabet in last name.

Example:

Nasir
Naser

or

Mohammad
Mohammed

Is that could be a problem during name check.

Please advise.

NJ1485MM

My name in passport was LastName,FirstName,MiddleName.
When i first came to US my MiddleName was my Last Name
and LastName was my FirstName.
When i had applied for my GC i had specified the right order.
Went to social security office after I got my EAD and changed
my name correctly and accordingly the Banks,Drivers license etc.
Hope this helps
Good luck

Kandy and others,

My case is similar to yours (I am from AP).

But my name is consistent every where. It is written as

Chandra B Nara

Infact I wrote two initials in all aplications 485/DL etc. as "Chandra B N Nara). But all the documents came out with only one initial (B). This includes DL and GC. When I asked, they said only one MI is possible and I should not face any problem because of that.

My SSN has full name with expanded middle initials.

Last: Nara
First: Chandra
Middle: Babu Naidu.

I had the same problem too. Taking the previous example, since I had a very common first name, I used to be called by my middle name.

So when I came here I had my SSN, DL and passport the same Chandra B Nara. But all my credit cards had it as Babu N Nara and my colleagues were calling me Babu. It created a lot of confusion and I changed all my credit cards and in my new work-place I went by Chandra B Nara.

akra, interesting point.

What name did you use for labor and I140? If you used different name, was any there issue?

Appreciate you reply.