name check

w8ting4gc

Registered Users (C)
My name check was sent to FBI in oct , 2005, still pending (> 9 months now).
I called fbi name check number today. I was told by the lady that they no longer reply to inquiries into name check status (phone, email or mail).
I wonder what I can do to get the info I want.
Next step is FOIA, then lawsuit.

I have no statistics, but does pending > 9 months mean that it will keep being so for a long time to come?

I think so. There are thousands of people who submitted 485 in 2004 that are still waiting, so do not be surprised if you have to wait another year or two. Lawsuit may be the only way to get these people do their job. By the way, where did you find your NC status? the 1-800 number? Thanks.

EA

w8ting4gc said:
My name check was sent to FBI in oct , 2005, still pending (> 9 months now).
I called fbi name check number today. I was told by the lady that they no longer reply to inquiries into name check status (phone, email or mail).
I wonder what I can do to get the info I want.
Next step is FOIA, then lawsuit.

I have no statistics, but does pending > 9 months mean that it will keep being so for a long time to come?

I got my status by calling VSC using the 800 number.

EAin2005 said:
I think so. There are thousands of people who submitted 485 in 2004 that are still waiting, so do not be surprised if you have to wait another year or two. Lawsuit may be the only way to get these people do their job. By the way, where did you find your NC status? the 1-800 number? Thanks.

EA

When I called the 1-800 number about a month back, they initiated an inquiry and gave me a reference number; however, the lady on the phone said that she did not know whether my name check was cleared or not. She claimed that she did not have access to that info. It is likely that she did not want to tell me. I haven't received received a USCIS response to my inquiry as of today.

I think it is possible that I am stuck in name check. I am going to send the FOIPA request tomorrow. Very frustrating!

Hi W8ting4gc,
It can be frustrating, but its hard to predict what/how fbi works and clears NC.
Your best bet is to wait for some more time and follow up with VSC by calling the
1-800 no once a month. Also, remember not to call them too often as they keep track of all your calls to them.
I would advise against lawsuit as 9 months is not a significant amount of time going by VSC books.

Relax and wait .... you can not do anything here.

Namecheck may take 1-2 years and no one can help you with this not even senator/congressmen. Even when people get proof that FBI completed investigation, it still takes long.

For the Law Suite. If it was that simple, everyone would have done that. Lawyers take thousands. Plus there are some pre -requisites for that.
" you must have exhausted all efforts " that includes contacting congreesmen /senators.

Good Luck

Thank you guys for the good advice.

What's frustrating is this is such a random and meaningless delay.
I disagree that 9 months is short. I wonder how long is long enough. How many 9-months are there in people's life? A day's delay is too long if it is not justified.
We immigration applicants are way too tolerant on this.

I think the lady did not tell you the truth. They clearly have access to the database. It should be a clearcut yes or no anwer. "Unkown" is not an option.

akayal1973 said:
When I called the 1-800 number about a month back, they initiated an inquiry and gave me a reference number; however, the lady on the phone said that she did not know whether my name check was cleared or not. She claimed that she did not have access to that info. It is likely that she did not want to tell me. I haven't received received a USCIS response to my inquiry as of today.

I think it is possible that I am stuck in name check. I am going to send the FOIPA request tomorrow. Very frustrating!

Just called VSC and find out my NC is also pending. I think the lady was not telling the truth when she claimed that she did not know. I only waited < 1min before the guy told me the results, so it should be easy for them. Maybe call back sometime later and see what their response is. Good luck.

EA

akayal1973 said:

EA
would you disclose how long your NC has taken so far?

EAin2005 said:
Just called VSC and find out my NC is also pending. I think the lady was not telling the truth when she claimed that she did not know. I only waited < 1min before the guy told me the results, so it should be easy for them. Maybe call back sometime later and see what their response is. Good luck.

EA

EAin2005 said:

EA

EA,

Which options did you go for after dialling the 1-800 number? I listened to the automated message about the status and then selected the option for talking to a rep since it was outside their processing times. A 10-15 hold and then talked to this lady.

Guys,

Thanks for suggesting the "POJ trick". It worked. I was able to connect to the VSC service center and talk to an officer who was nice. She said that my I-485 was pending because of "routine security check". I said is that name check, to which she replied: All I can tell you is that it is routine security check.

She further said that this line (i.e. the one that I reached by selecting 4 (multiple applications) at the end - POJ trick) was for problem cases and that my case was pending because of "routine security check".

I believe that is euphemism for stuck in name check:)

I had called today because it had been 30 days since I called them. At that time, I don't think I reached VSC - It seemed to be centralized customer service.

485 was sumbitted last July, so probably 1 year. They did not tell me when they initiated the NC though. Only said that I was delayed due to "name and date of birth check from FBI". I take that as NC.

EA

w8ting4gc said:
EA
would you disclose how long your NC has taken so far?

You are right. That seems to be name check.
Ususally the NC is submitted a few weeks after your I485 is received. So you NC should have started somewhere in July or August last year.

EAin2005 said:
485 was sumbitted last July, so probably 1 year. They did not tell me when they initiated the NC though. Only said that I was delayed due to "name and date of birth check from FBI". I take that as NC.

EA

My name chek was sent to FBI on June 28 2004. I filed on June 21 2004 (485)

Just now I came to know that. So far I am in the impression of FBI name check willbe inciated after Finger printing. By the the my Finger printing cleared.

I am now officially in the infamous "name and date of birth check pending" club. I got a letter from Senator Bob Fernandez's (NJ) office stating that my FBI name and date of birth checks are pending. His office has allowed me to follow up with the director of immigration services in his Newark, NJ office.

Don't know what to do. I do have the FOIPA response from the FBI stating that "No records were found".

I don't know how long the name check has been pending though.

My LUD was on April 27, 2006, although the status on the USCIS website still says "On August 15, 2005, the results of your fingerprint review for your I485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status were received, and processing has resumed on your case."

Toxsci or other experts - any suggestions for my future course of action??