Name Check Double Jeopardy!?!?!?

andrews

I was wondering if people who suffered with a lenghty name check process during Adjustment of Status (I-485) suffered the same again during N-400. I have a close relative whose I-485 took more than four years to be adjudicated and approved due to name check. However, his N-400 took less than 8 months from mailing date to oath date? have anyone suffered the double jeopardy?:confused: Thanks and let's pray IT DOES NOT HAPPEN to anyone out there! Good luck to you all!!!!!

Was it marriage based GC, Andrey? Only such subjects can suffer at this moment. In case of regular GC such case didn't come yet. For example if your relative applied 8 month ago it means he applied early 2006. In this case GC was received in 2001, before 9/11, while all this nightmare started in early 2002 when millions of checks were resubmitted by USCIS, making huge backlog for FBI. Most probably your relative had his GC made using regular processing. It was around 3-4 years in 199X - 2001 and it is how long it was processed for the guys who work with me. My company never paid for premium processing. I was more lucky to win DV lottery.

Two different things?

Was it marriage based GC, Andrey? Only such subjects can suffer at this moment. In case of regular GC such case didn't come yet. For example if your relative applied 8 month ago it means he applied early 2006. In this case GC was received in 2001, before 9/11, while all this nightmare started in early 2002 when millions of checks were resubmitted by USCIS, making huge backlog for FBI. Most probably your relative had his GC made using regular processing. It was around 3-4 years in 199X - 2001 and it is how long it was processed for the guys who work with me. My company never paid for premium processing. I was more lucky to win DV lottery.

I think you are talking about two different things. If a Chinese or Indian citizen applied for GC through employment in those days and fell into EB3, it would take 4 years before a visa became available. The actual processing time from I-485 filing to approval was approximately 9 months in 2001 (for Vermont Service Center anyhow); if one counted from I-140 filing to I-485 approval it could be up to 5 years. Due to legislative changes, the "current" dates for visa started jumping in late 2000, those who filed I-140 under EB3 in 2000 got GC by early 2002, and those who filed in 2001 may have got it in just one year.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are right, I started my green card process in November 2001 and had my physical green card in about 9 months. My processing was in NSC/Consular in Sydney, Australia). I know few people who are from TSC who got stuck in labor processing in 2000, and now due to EB3 retrogression are still stuck in I-485. TSC has traditionally been the slowest of the lot.

I think you are talking about two different things. If a Chinese or Indian citizen applied for GC through employment in those days and fell into EB3, it would take 4 years before a visa became available. The actual processing time from I-485 filing to approval was approximately 9 months in 2001 (for Vermont Service Center anyhow); if one counted from I-140 filing to I-485 approval it could be up to 5 years. Due to legislative changes, the "current" dates for visa started jumping in late 2000, those who filed I-140 under EB3 in 2000 got GC by early 2002, and those who file in 2001 may have got it in just one year.

I think you are talking about two different things. If a Chinese or Indian citizen applied for GC through employment in those days and fell into EB3, it would take 4 years before a visa became available. The actual processing time from I-485 filing to approval was approximately 9 months in 2001 (for Vermont Service Center anyhow); if one counted from I-140 filing to I-485 approval it could be up to 5 years. Due to legislative changes, the "current" dates for visa started jumping in late 2000, those who filed I-140 under EB3 in 2000 got GC by early 2002, and those who filed in 2001 may have got it in just one year.

I was talking about entire process, including labor certification, I-140 and I-485. Texas center was the slowest by the way. It was much longer then 9 month. Company started GC for me and my friend in Jan 2000. I got mine in Jan 2001 as DV winner, my friend got his in Dec 2003.

More details

The relative I mentioned on the initial posting came to the US as a refugee. He then applied for adjustment of status one year after he was admitted as a refugee. His I-485 processing took three years and 10 months from I-485 application date until approval date. Since refugees green card come with Resident Since date as of the date they first entered the US as refugee, he was able to apply for Naturalization immediately upor receipt of his green card. He then was sworn in 8 months from N-400 receipt date. He knew thru INFOPASS his I-485 took so long due to name check delays. My question again is, have anybody experience huge delays in both I-485 processing and N-400 processing? Thanks a lot for your responses!

any one out there?

:)
The relative I mentioned on the initial posting came to the US as a refugee. He then applied for adjustment of status one year after he was admitted as a refugee. His I-485 processing took three years and 10 months from I-485 application date until approval date. Since refugees green card come with Resident Since date as of the date they first entered the US as refugee, he was able to apply for Naturalization immediately upor receipt of his green card. He then was sworn in 8 months from N-400 receipt date. He knew thru INFOPASS his I-485 took so long due to name check delays. My question again is, have anybody experience huge delays in both I-485 processing and N-400 processing? Thanks a lot for your responses!

The name checks are unpredictable, people here have said the INS uses variations and different spellings of the name also. So I guess there is no standard answer.