Name Check crossing with Yahoo or Google

loveoklahoma

Registered Users (C)
Alright guys I am now getting paranoid about slipping into the hole of FBI name check, I think there are enough horror stories in this forum that frighten me about name check. My understanding is that if one has a VERY common name then this would almost land him into the name check black hole, just out of curiosity I searched my first name in yahoo and google both and came out with 19 hits at the most, then I searched my last name and came up with 100 hits at the most. Does that mean I am safe from name check!? :confused:

One of my friend who’s already stuck in name crossing, I did a search for his name on yahoo and came up with over 1.5 million hit in 0.2 seconds! It makes sense to me why could his name stuck up! :D

Who’s likely to be stuck in name check besides having a VERY common name?

loveoklahoma said:
Alright guys I am now getting paranoid about slipping into the hole of FBI name check, I think there are enough horror stories in this forum that frighten me about name check. My understanding is that if one has a VERY common name then this would almost land him into the name check black hole, just out of curiosity I searched my first name in yahoo and google both and came out with 19 hits at the most, then I searched my last name and came up with 100 hits at the most. Does that mean I am safe from name check!? :confused:

No, you're not.

One of my friend who’s already stuck in name crossing, I did a search for his name on yahoo and came up with over 1.5 million hit in 0.2 seconds! It makes sense to me why could his name stuck up! :D

Who’s likely to be stuck in name check besides having a VERY common name?

Anybody. I have a not so common name, typical for people from my country (not an "universal" name) who is an European country. (by the way, my country counts about the same number of souls like Mexico City, the capital of Mexico :D )
And I got stuck in the Name Check b.s. for two years...

when i google myself, the only references i get is to the sites where I am mentioned. i have a very unusual first and last names, very unique.
my case is pending name check... since July 2005. not very long, someone might say, but at the pace FBI is going I am looking at 3 more years at least. :(
i would say there's no direct correlation between how many times your name comes up in google search and getting stuck in the name check process. there might be something about your background - like country of origin, education, or else that FBI thinks they need to check. besides, i am not sure if FBI is googling our names. :)
Anyway, do not get paranoid, just let things develop and if you get stuck - deal with it then, not worth sweating over it now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a newbie to this forum.
What is FBI name check process? Does every N400 applicant has to go through and clear this process? Or do they do this process for random applicants?

If anyone can explain this process, it will be great.

Thanks,
Kudi Magan

I have one of the most unique names in the world. There are probably 20 people in the world with my last name and 10 with my first name. I am probably the only one with the combination. Yet I am stuck in name check.

Compjobs; you really depressed me now and got me all worried about the name check. My first name is unique also; but contrary to my intuition it seems I might get stuck too. It doesn't really make sense that they take all this time!

Kudi Magan; wish I could tell you what name check is but apparently it's conducted beside the fingerprint check. They cross your name with known names of people that are threat of any kind, they might have millions of names and if your first/last name much up with let's say 10 wanted terrorist/killers/rapist etc...they will have to verify one by one by carefull examination of the background. It could take one day to unlimitted numbers of years to finish up the process.

Let's hope for the best!

I am stuck in the name check crap too, since January this year.

My plan is: I will contact the FBI to get the status of my case, if possible. Then regardless of the outcome, I will write a letter to the USCIS DO and the officer who interviewed me toward the end of the 120 day period, telling them that I am going to file for the court hearing. Then I will file for the court hearing.

The USCIS is abusive and irresponsible and I am not going to take it.

Walter

loveoklahoma: Sorry, I did not mean to scare you. I know many friends with very common names get green cards in 6 months. So with all the talk and guesswork, I have come to the conclusion that the only thing we can do is wait.

walterchen, I'm also stuck in name check, I'm in NO VA any updates in your cas, please keep us posted, it'll be very helpful especially for the people in the same DO.
Thanks

am just hoping thts the way it works in name check process,what ever the process i am really thankfull to my parents ;) who gave me a name which i am 100% sure no one in this world has ...hahahhaa that is my first name and last name included...i know a lot of people share my first name but my last name is one heck of a name.....and all this while i used to curse myself for having such a wicked last name which is the name of my dad's native place....
hahahah there only 3 ppl from tht place who are in america my dad,my brother and me i,e who share that last name...
guess some times it does pay to be embarassed for the first 26 years of your life,initially i thought i would change my name during n400 then thought this name has actually proved to be an asset to me....
i think the reason ppl get stuck in name check is once they pop your name in the system especially if you are a ram kumar or a harvinder singh there are thousands of ppl in tht name who have had felonies,so the fbi has to put some extra time in making sure you are not the same harvinder singh or ram kumar

Interesting thought though. I do not think anybody outside the FBI actually knows what they are doing! Back in 2003 - I think - somebody posted some congressional testimony regarding FBI name/background checks. They (the FBI) claimed back in 2003, it took them less than 120 days to process said checks, for a rate of 90+%. In the same testimony, the FBI stated that 85% of all applicants came back as "No Ident" when running the background check meaning: NO RECORD...aka a "go ahead" for USCIS.

We will all know once we show up for the interview, I guess. BTW, if I google/yahoo my name (in any conceivable combination), I get 9 hits on Yahoo! and 13 on Google ;-).

Cheers!

Here is the posting I mentioned. It is rather long, but I thought I would post it nonetheless:

QUOTE:

The name check which is done

for visas, is also being done for N-400 application. The process is identical.

FBI Name Check Process

It may be helpful to the Committee to follow along with Attachment B, a
flow chart of the FBI visa name check work process. Consular officers
worldwide determine whether a visa request falls into one of the special
visa categories requiring additional scrutiny. Two of these categories
are Visa Condor, relevant to certain individuals who are from designated
countries and who satisfy additional criteria which may make them worthy
of additional scrutiny, and Visa Mantis, relevant to certain individuals
who will have access during their visit to American special
technologies. The consular officer will submit their name check requests
by cable, simultaneously to both the FBI and State Department
headquarters.

In the next step of the process, the FBI communications center forwards
the batches of names to be checked electronically to the name check
program. The name is electronically checked against the FBI Universal
Indices (UNI). The searches seek all instances of the individual's name
and close date of birth, whether a main file name or reference. By way
of explanation, a main file name is that of an individual who is,
himself, the subject of an FBI investigation, whereas a reference is
someone whose name appears in an FBI investigation. References may be
associates, witnesses, conspirators, or a myriad of other reasons may
exist to explain why an FBI Agent believed it important to index a
particular name in an investigation for later recovery. The names are
searched in a multitude of combinations, switching the order of first,
last, middle names, as well as combinations with just the first and
last, first and middle, and so on. It also searches different phonetic
spelling variations of the names, especially important considering that
many names in our indices have been transliterated from a language other
than English.

If there is a match with a name in a FBI record, it is designated as a
"Hit", meaning that the system has stopped on a possible match with the
name being checked, but now a human being must review the file or
indices entry to further refine the names "Hit" on. If the search comes
up with a name and birth date match, it is designated an "Ident." An
"Ident" is usually easier to resolve.

Resolution Rate

Approximately 85% of name checks are electronically returned as having
"No Record" within 72 hours. A "No Record" indicates that the FBI's
Central Records System contains no identifiable information regarding to
this individual. By agreement with State, partially due to our concern
about the time factors in approving most visa requests, a No Record
equates to a No Objection to the issuance of a visa. The substantive
investigative divisions in the FBI, (i.e., Counterterrorism Division
(CTD), Counterintelligence Division (CD), Criminal Investigative
Division (CID) and the Cyber Division (CyD)) do not review visa requests
where there is no record of the individual. Duplicate submissions (i.e.,
identically spelled names with identical dates of birth submitted within
the last 120 days) are not checked and the duplicate findings are
returned to State.

Because a name and birth date are not sufficient to positively correlate
the file with an individual, additional review is required. A secondary
manual name search usually identifies an additional 10% of the requests
as having a "No Record", for a 95% overall "No Record" response rate.
This is usually accomplished within a week of the request. The remaining
5% are identified as possibly being the subject of an FBI record. The
FBI record must now be retrieved and reviewed. If the records were
electronically uploaded into the FBI Automated Case Support (ACS)
electronic recordkeeping system, it can be viewed quickly. If not, the
relevant information must be retrieved from the existing paper record.
Review of this information will determine whether the information is
identified with the subject of the request. If not, the request is
closed as a "No Record."

The information in the file is reviewed for possible derogatory
information. Less than 1% of the requests are identified with an
individual with possible derogatory information. These requests are
forwarded to the appropriate FBI investigative division for further
analysis. If the investigative division determines there is no objection
to the visa request, the request is returned to the name check
dissemination desk for forwarding to the State Department. If there is
an FBI objection to the visa request, the investigative division will
prepare a written Security Advisory Opinion (SAO) and forward it to the
State Department. In reviewing these visa requests, the FBI has
identified individuals attempting to enter the United States who are of
serious concern to the FBI.

Processing Times

As in the name checks processes for 70 other agencies, the name check
system accurately monitors the status of visa requests in the name check
process. The system's metrics are a dynamic tool, allowing the FBI to
identify when to add additional personnel to process visas. The metrics
also provide an accurate tool to determine whether the name check
process is causing delays for visa requests.

The FBI's goal is to have all requests completed within 120 days.
Attachment C illustrates the current status of Visa Condor names checks,
and Attachment D illustrates the same for Visa Mantis name checks. This
status was taken on July 3, 2003. For example, for Visas Condor, the FBI
received 7384 requests during the month of June 2003. The FBI resolved
all but 649 of these requests, for a 92% resolution rate. In the month
of May 2003, the FBI received 5,059 Visa Condor requests and has
resolved all but 105 of these requests for a 98%resolution rate (See
Attachment C). For Visas Mantis, the FBI received 2589 requests in the
month of June 2003 and resolved 2226, or 86% of them (See Attachment D).
Visas Mantis are particularly difficult to resolve due to the
predominance of requests from China and the commonality of Asian names.

A common question we receive is, How long does it take to complete a
visa request name check? As shown on these graphs, 86 to 92% are
completed in 30 days. For both types of visa requests, 98-99% of the
requests are resolved in 120 days.

Most name check requests that are over 30 days old are the result of the
time required to retrieve and review field office record information.
Some delay occurs at substantive analysts' desks, but this is to be
expected. These analysts are assigned to the investigative divisions and
are primarily assigned to the analysis of intelligence reports from
around the world in order to support on-going investigations, or to
support the flow of intelligence to policy makers. These are the best
professionals, however, to review information in our records and to then
make an informed decision on whether a requester of a visa represents a
threat to our homeland, or is interested in illegally acquiring our
targeted technology. Nevertheless, as I stated earlier, the FBI's
resolves 99% of all types of visa requests within 120 days.

dude i am such a loser/gainer? when i query my full name on yahoo/google not a single hit....only results are from that yahoo ad where you can look up ones background which gives exact location where i live stating i have no criminal activity on file.... :D
i just need my citizenship

Stuck in name check

There are probably 2-3 of us in this country and I am stuck in name check as well. It is quite possible (as some of the lawyers have suggested) that name checks are actually completed but lost by USCIS (not entered in their computers). So I believe if it has been over 6 months since name check submission, and it remains pending, don't expect any resolution for next several years. Filing lawsuit seems to be the way to obtain resolutions.

walterchen said:
I am stuck in the name check crap too, since January this year.

My plan is: I will contact the FBI to get the status of my case, if possible. Then regardless of the outcome, I will write a letter to the USCIS DO and the officer who interviewed me toward the end of the 120 day period, telling them that I am going to file for the court hearing. Then I will file for the court hearing.

The USCIS is abusive and irresponsible and I am not going to take it.

Walter

... und alle Agenten riefen : Mein Gott, Walter !

Sorry, I tried to keep quite but I had to write that.

About the name check ... keep in mind : The unlucky ones who are stuck in name check are more likely to discuss their problem and seek help - so you are more likely to hear about this (as about other problems) more frequently.
This does not represent the likelihood of a person ending up in that black hole. And ... after all, you have no choice. If you get stuck, you get stuck - just wait and see. If I'd feel like betting I would put a dollar on you (or anybody) to check out just fine.

Alex

Judging by the preponderance of the people who posted here, in this thread claiming that their names are unique or very rare (including myself) I'm about to present a new theory:

People with uncommon names are more likely to get stuck in FBI's Name Check.... :eek:
Apparently, FBI is working on a research about unique/exotic names...maybe they will release soon a book...who knows, a best seller "Collection of rare names" by Robert S. Mueller and Co.
;)

Guys; I must agree with one of the responses above that getting sucked by name check has probably nothing to do with your name being common. Indeed, Most of the people who suffer the scrutiny of the system have less common name. So far from what I understood, suing USCIS seems to be the only shortcut. I am starting to wonder if any one had a peaceful resolution or tried a different approach! Please share. Also, FBI aren’t usually moved by senators and representatives inquiries and I don’t buy the idea that being mentioned in a reference file would take years to analyze…I think he whole think come down to an agent who takes too many coffee breaks and not willing to get to the bottom of his pile. If there is anything referenced against you by the FBI it would most probably be held by your local bureau of FBI, I mean in your state. In such case I would pay them a visit and respectfully ask them to forward the necessary materials to Washington bureau (assuming the Washington agent has done its job by properly requested your info in case there was a hit…)

Also, for one reason or another, most of you guys seem to believe that only people who were either targeted or referenced by an FBI investigation get stuck in name check! It’s matter of routine these days that names are also checked through the NATIONAL CRIME INFORMATION CENTER system (NCIC) not only when applying for immigration benefits but pretty much anytime you are dealing with a government agency. Assuming this is correct, now the chances are even higher to glow in their system….I will elaborate on this point shortly as I will be reporting the category of individuals covered by the NCIC system at the bottom of this thread (Haven’t you heard about an N-400 applicant who was from Yemen and had a brush with Yemeni law 16 years ago for conspiracy to sell alcohol to a minor…he was never targeted by an FBI investigation or been a terrorist but they took two years to bring his record since there is a treaty between US and Yemen to exchange info about anyone..). But first, some good news! As we all know, if you were granted LPR status anytime during the second half of 2002 then you have been subjected to name check clearance simply because the system was already in place then, so if you have quickly been cleared then you will quickly get cleared now…this is my own interpretation though and please someone correct if they think I am wrong!

Now, here are the categories of individual covered by NCIC system:

(Source of info is: http://www.fas.org/irp/agency/doj/fbi/is/ncic.htm)

A. Wanted Persons:
1. Individuals for whom Federal warrants are
outstanding.
2. Individuals who have committed or have been identified with an
offense which is classified as a felony or serious misdemeanor under
the existing penal statutes of the jurisdiction originating the entry
and for whom a felony or misdemeanor warrant has been issued with
respect to the offense which was the basis of the entry. Probation and
parole violators meeting the foregoing criteria.
3. A "Temporary Felony Want" may be entered when a law enforcement
agency has need to take prompt action to establish a "want" entry
for the apprehension of a person who has committed or the officer has
reasonable grounds to believe has committed, a felony and who may seek
refuge by fleeing across jurisdictional boundaries and circumstances
preclude the immediate procurement of a felony warrant. A "Temporary
Felony Want" shall be specifically identified as such and subject to
verification and support by a proper warrant within 48 hours following
the entry of a temporary want. The agency originating the "Temporary
Felony Want" shall be responsible for subsequent verification or re-
entry of a permanent want.
4. Juveniles who have been adjudicated delinquent and who have escaped
or absconded from custody, even though no arrest warrants were issued.
Juveniles who have been charged with the commission of a delinquent
act that would be a crime if committed by an adult, and who have fled
from the state where the act was committed.
5. Individuals who have committed or have been identified with an
offense committed in a foreign country, which would be a felony if
committed in the United States
, and for whom a warrant of arrest is
outstanding and for which act an extradition treaty exists between the
United States and that country
6. Individuals who have committed or have been identified with an
offense committed in Canada and for whom a Canada-Wide Warrant has
been issued which meets the requirements of the Canada-U.S.
Extradition Treaty, 18 U.S.C. 3184.
B. Individuals who have been charged with serious and/or significant
offenses:
1. Individuals who have been fingerprinted and whose criminal history
record information has been obtained.
2. Violent Felons: Persons with three or more convictions for a
violent felony or serious drug offense as defined by 18 U.S.C.
Sec. 924(e).
C. Missing Persons: 1. A person of any age who is missing and who is
under proven physical/mental disability or is senile, thereby
subjecting that person or others to personal and immediate danger.
2. A person of any age who is missing under circumstances indicating
that the disappearance was not voluntary.
3. A person of any age who is missing under circumstances indicating
that that person's physical safety may be in danger.
4. A person of any age who is missing after a catastrophe.
5. A person who is missing and declared unemancipated as defined by
the laws of the person's state of residence and does not meet any of
the entry criteria set forth in 1-4 above.
D. Individuals designated by the U.S. Secret Service as posing a
potential danger to the President and/or other authorized protectees.
E. Members of Violent Criminal Gangs: Individuals about whom
investigation has developed sufficient information to establish
membership in a particular violent criminal gang by either:
1. Self admission at the time of arrest or incarceration, or
2. Any two of the following criteria:
a. Identified as a gang member by a reliable informant;
b. Identified as a gang member by an informant whose information has
been corroborated;
c. Frequents a gang's area, associates with known members, and/or
affects gang dress, tattoos, or hand signals;
d. Has been arrested multiple times with known gang members for
offenses consistent with gang activity; or
e. Self admission (other than at the time of arrest or incarceration).
F. Members of Terrorist Organizations: Individuals about whom
investigations has developed sufficient information to establish
membership in a particular terrorist organization using the same
criteria listed above in paragraph E, items 1 and 2 a-e, as they apply
to members of terrorist organizations rather than members of violent
criminal gangs.
G. Unidentified Persons: 1. Any unidentified deceased person. 2. Any
person who is living and unable to ascertain the person's identity
(e.g., infant, amnesia victim). 3. Any unidentified catastrophe
victim. 4. Body parts when a body has been dismembered.

Now imagine if your name get mixed up with someone from the list above! it's not just those who were specifically targeted or referenced by an FBI inverstigation that get stuck in name check, but also those who's first name/last name if similar to that of a criminal/missing etc subject to the list above (in both US and your home country).

Let’s keep our hopes high and confidence in the system, I am talking to those like me who are worried about get sucked in name check tragedy, as for those who are already there I can only wish the best of luck, patience and strength to endure this difficult time….

loveoklahoma

Last edited by a moderator: