Name Check Backlog-You can beat it!

hanklee

Registered Users (C)
Congress has a bill pending for name check backlogs. This bill requires FBI to end all the name check cases pending longer than 6 months in 18 months. PLEASE write your congressman immediately and let all people you know to write to congressmen to support this bill or it cannot be passed. You should give people you know a letter and a stamped envelope and ask them to write to their congressmen. The link of the pending bill is listed below. I

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/issues/bills/?billtype=H.R.&billnumb=3828&congress=110

I have listed the letter I wrote for your reference.

Dear Honorable XXXX

I am writing to seek your support for Bill H.R. 3828.

H.R. 3828 aims to reduce the backlog in processing requests made by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to the National Name Check Program of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). Name Check is conducted by FBI on every applicant of US permanent residency and citizenship. As of May 2007, there were approximately 330,000 Name Check cases pending at the FBI, including 107,000 cases pending over 12 months, and 31,000 cases pending over 33 months (USCIS Ombudsman Annual Report of 2007). As the USCIS Ombudsman Report states,

"FBI name checks, one of the security screening tools used by USCIS, continue to significantly delay adjudication of immigration benefits for many customers, hinder backlog reduction efforts, and may not achieve their intended national security objectives".

The current delays in the Name Check program not only pose burdens on people seeking immigration benefits, but also lead to serious national security risks. Delays in the name check process actually prolong an individual's presence in the United States while the check is pending. In this sense, the current name check program may increase the risk to national security by extending the time a potential criminal or terrorist remains in the country.

Please support H.R. 3828 to support immigrant rights and strengthen national security. Thank you for your considerations.

Sincerely

XXXX