Name check - AOS vs. N-400

zamindar

Registered Users (C)
I-485 (Marriage based)
Filed: June 2002 (in SFO, later moved to ATL)
Interview: April 2003 (more evidence requested, which was provided)
Case approved: Nov 2003

N-400:
PD: Aug 9, 2006
FP: Sep 5, 2006
IL: Waiting

Name check is done for both I-485 AOS and N-400 applicants. Not sure if one is more comprehensive than the other. My AOS went pretty quick but now I am stuck in name check. I guess there is NO correlation between the name check processes for the two. The major events happened in our life from AOS approval until filing N-400 are: I got an MBA, started a new job, moved a couple of times (due to job) and had a baby.

This name check is a major issue for some people and is not something that can be solved on a forum. It is futile to try and discuss it when we don't even have any data to begin with.
Plus I think it will be more comprehensive than a GC check, after all this is a major decision and the Govt has to make sure the right kind of people are being given the protection of a Natz certf.
My 2c wait till the processing date for N400 passes your PD and then call the helpline. They are more likely to listen in that case. I think your file has fallen through the cracks and is waiting for some overworked FBI officer to do the manual check. And that officer was probably answering the phone telling people their fingerprints "were sent the same day".

OT: GC namecheck

I'm pretty sure namecheck is the same whether its for GC or Natz. Whats not clear to me is exactly when in the GC process that it gets carried out.

The difference probably has to do with the expanded FBI database. I'm not sure about the exact date but I think it was after 2002 that FBI added millions of minor infractions (such as traffic violations and restraining orders) to their database.

The presence of that much additional data would surely cause havoc for many more applicants. More names in FBI data means more chance of your name getting false hits. And on top of that, more and more fresh new criminal data is added to FBI files everyday. That could explain why your AOS status sailed through while your N-400 got stuck.