name change

Harinarayan

Registered Users (C)
Has anyone tried changing the name while 485 is pending? What are the steps involved?

Thanks for your response.

I guess, nobody even thinks about it .. :) Many times it happens without asking for it ..

But, sorry I dont have an answer ..

Hi, I'm planning to change my name too. I guess the steps involved will be to go to the Social Security Office or visit their website. But first, what name are you going to use? In my case, My I-485 was filed using my new name, so my EAD card has my new name (using my husband's last name). I am planning to go to the SSA office to do this name changing but there's so much hassle, after SSA, you have to go to DMV then you have to call your bank and all credit card issuer...:rolleyes: and so on... I've been delaying this name changing because I read on one of the forums that one member renewed his license using EAD and the expiration on his new license was the expiration on his EAD. My license expires in 2006. I might just wait for my GC before changing my name. Hope this helps...:)

xpadre,

Thanks for your reply. In this case the 485 for wife was filed with her maiden last name. The idea was to change the name after 485 was done. But now it is time to renew the passport so maybe it is better to change the name while 485 is pending.

Does anyone know of a form which is used to inform INS about the name change?

Thanks.

Harinarayan

xpadre,

Thanks for your reply. In this case the 485 for wife was filed with her maiden last name. The idea was to change the name after 485 was done. But now it is time to renew the passport so maybe it is better to change the name while 485 is pending.

Does anyone know of a form which is used to inform INS about the name change?

Thanks.

HARINARAYAN,

MAYBE YOU COULD TALK TO YOUR LAWYER HOW TO GO ABOUT THIS. MY PASSPORT IS STILL IN MY MAIDEN NAME, MY EAD IN UNDER MY MARRIED NAME (I USED A HYPHENATED LAST NAME TO AVOID CONFUSION). I WISH I COULD HELP MORE... I'LL RESEARCH ON THE WEB AND WILL GET BACK TO YOU WHEN I FIND SOMETHING.