Name change

alisons74

I have quick question, I'm elegible to file for N-400 now, but I'm getting married in september, since my name is going to change should I just wait for the wedding to be done with before I file?

I have quick question, I'm elegible to file for N-400 now, but I'm getting married in september, since my name is going to change should I just wait for the wedding to be done with before I file?

It may make sense (if there are no real urgent reasons otherwise) to wait until after your marriage to file the N-400. On your marriage certificate, you usually have your maiden name on it and it would be kind of funny to see your official married name already on it for your wedding day ... not illegal but still would be interesting. Of course, there is that other school of thought about not counting your chickens before they hatch but hey, there's nothing like optimism! Do what you feel comfortable doing regarding this and either way, be happy with it.

If you apply for citizenship now, you'll probably complete the process (with your same original name) before you get married. Then after you get married you can use the marriage certificate to change your name on the relevant documents. If you don't need to travel outside the US between the citizenship oath and wedding date, it would make sense to wait until after the wedding to apply for a US passport, so the passport will have your married name.

Last edited by a moderator: