Name Change on Social Security Card

JagadeeshP

Registered Users (C)
I guess this question will not come under this thread, but I searched for SSN forum which I am not able to find. Here is my question.

I want to change my name on Social Security card as the First name and Last name got reversed. I did not get any problems so for as in Tax filing or Immigration. I also got Green Card. But now in one of the states I am getting issue on Drivers License. I moved several states before but there was no issue. They are not able to provide me Drivers License unless I change my name on Social Security card.

The SS card reads as

First Name: AAA
Last Name : BBB CCC LLL

so it reads as "AAA BBB CCC LLL"

whereas in my Passport it is

Last Name: AAA
Given Name: BBB CCC LLL

All I need to do is change name on SSN so that it reads as "BBB CCC LLL AAA"

Please let me know if anyone has done this before and will there be any complications for filing next year taxes or any other issues.

Thanks

So you just want to change the name on the SS card to match your legal name ... not actually changing your legal name?

If it's only the card you're changing, see the link for changing the name on the card: http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/

But if you're actually changing your legal name, that's going to involve other things.

I am new to this forum. Didn't find any ssn related threads through search. So posting my query here.

My H1B got approved this year. I applied for SSN at chicago. They gave me time frame of 6 weeks( because my change of status from H4 to H1B not reflecting there).I applied for SSN on oct 25th. Mean time we moved to VA. But when ever i made a call to ssn office they are saying they are still processing my application. Last week even they took my contact number and said they will ask local office to contact me. But didn't get any calls from them.

Here are my questions.
Can i apply once again for ssn in VA(Its difficult to go to chicago and inquire at local office).
After getting H1B , How long i can stay without working? (as i didn't get ssn).

I appreciate your answers to my questions.
Please help me in finding solution to my problem

Go to the local office in person and assert yourself and explain the situation. Don't leave until you get some good answers. You might be able to get them to tell you the number, even if they can't give you the card or tell you when it will be ready. Then once you have the number you can use it to work (presenting the physical card is not required by law, although some employers may decide to ask for it anyway) ... employers have sources they can call to verify if the number matches your name and date of birth.

But don't apply for another one unless they say it's OK to do that ... you don't want to confuse them more by having 2 pending applications.

Last edited by a moderator: