Name change for Wife on N-400

n400apply

My wife and I are scheduled for our Interview on 12/13/2006. On the N400 application, we made a change to my wife's name. Since my wife came to the U.S on H-4, she still has her father's last name. We changed this to my last name on the application for her. Now, will this delay her oath date?

As per the Naturalization Guide:

"If you decide to change your name, you will be required to complete a
Petition for Name Change during your interview. Petitioning the court
to change your name may delay the date of your oath ceremony, in some
cases."

Has anyone experienced any issues with this? I felt it was better to do it during Naturalization and before applying for her U.S passport. If this causes too many issues, we may decide not to during the interview. Is this possible?

ID: 12/13/2006

It has delayed two of us in Philadelphia. Read the N-400 Philadelphia timeline posts by anu_phila & trrmt.

The Washington DO at Fairfax doesn't have same day Oath ceremony for naturalization candidates opting for name change. A friend of mine opted for name change in his interview on Dec 2005 and he is still waiting for his Oath Ceremony.

It looks like a name change for my wife during interview will delay the oath date.
So, since we had opted for a name change on the N-400, when she goes in for the interview, can she decide not to go forward with the change?

n400apply,

They will go through all the questions during the interview and you will have an option to change the answer to a 'NO' for name change request.

Good Luck.

name change does not delay the process for naturalization.i had my name changed too....infact name change through naturalization is the easiest way .

Name Change

I had a name change and my only delay was that I had to wait for my Oath Letter to be mailed to me as opposed to getting it on the same day. The delay was maybe two weeks, if you could even call that a delay.