Name Change experience under Miami Office

dadababu2000

Registered Users (C)
Please share your experience regarding name change request in Miami District offfice. Is it easier with the naturalization or after naturalization??
:confused:

Hi everyone: I have read in these forums that it is generally a lot easier to do the name change during Naturalization (rather than after Naturalization). However, no one seems to know of any upcoming date for the judicial (court) naturalization oath ceremony for name-change cases in the Miami, FL area. If you happen to know when the next court oath ceremony for the name change cases will be held in the Miami, FL region then please let us all know. Thank you. Rajiv.

Is it easier with the naturalization or after naturalization??
:confused:

Since I am not from Miami DO I can answer part of your question. Name change is much easier with naturalization than name change after naturalization. It is the most easiest and hassle free way to change your name legally without spending any $$ at all. This is a free service by USCIS for all N-400 applicants.

I have done some research on name change after naturalization and it involves filing court papers,paying court fees(at lease $200-$300 in NY) publishing name change in court stipulated news papers that meets a certain circulation numbers and $$ for that publication and appearing before the judge to explain why you need a name change etc. Add to that list, going back and forth to the court and the time to get all this done.

Considering all this my wife and I chose name change for my wife during naturalization and in her case I was sure the oath ceremony was always a judicial ceremony. So far my wife has had her interview and her name change will be effective following her oath ceremony next month.

In my opinion if you need to change name you should seriously consider doing it during the N-400 process.

Last edited by a moderator: