Name change during N-400 application?

shitalp

Registered Users (C)
I want to change my last name to that of my husband's by using Name change option in N-400 application. I see some posts suggesting to bring this up during Interview and not doing it during N-400 application process.
Can you please suggest me what is the best way to handle this name change? during N-400 application OR during Interview?

Appreciate your timely response.

Thanks
Shital

I will post my experience after 3-4 days.
My interview with name change is in this week.
I will let you know how it goes.

My wife changed her last name to my last name during the interview. She had no problems. Her oath is scheduled for 4/27/07 and she will be getting the nat. certificate and court order that will legally change her name during the oath.

Some DO's don't accept name changes during N-400. Make sure your DO accepts name change.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had my interview on March 13th. I did not ask for namechange. But my case is a bit different. I had my first name as my first name and my husband's first name as my last name. As I was in a hurry to get my initial Visa, did not change it at that time and kept the same name all these years.

During my interview, the IO asked me if my last name was my maiden name and I told him it was my husband's first name. He said that was not the right way. He went to his supervisor. When he came back he said that it should be my first name and my husband's last name with my then last name as my middle name. I was quite pleased. He just asked me to sign all papers with my husband's last name. I took oath the same day. There was no judge present. I then changed my name with SSN, got my passport, changed my name in my work place and all the rest of our papers.

This may not be a typical case.

------------------------------
TSC, Atlanta

01/04/2007 - PD
02/01/2007 - FP
03/13/2007 - Interview & Oath
03/24/2007 - Passport
04/05/2007 - Passport received

---- N 600 ---
03/30/2007 - Sent Application
04/04/2007 - Recd ack - standard letter fm DO