Name Change after submitting N400

vvlabor

Registered Users (C)
While applying for Citizenship - N400 form if I have mentioned that I do not want to change my name....and then later I want to change my name ...What do I need to do before I go for the interview.

Do I need to just mention to the IO about my name change when I go there or do I need to do something else ? Would it delay my Oath ceremony ?? Pls advice

No worries, you can still do a name change during the interview (remember your N-400 is not complete until you sign at the end of inteview under oath).

Just when name change questions come us up, and tell IO that you want to change your name. IO will make a note and adjust the N-400 application. Yes, it will cause some delay as IO will need to re-submit your a new name to name check/FBI/etc. In Chicago, this adds about 10 business days (my wife did exactly this)...but i have heard in some DOs can take up to 3-4 month...

Bottom line is that no adverse impact for doing so (other than some minor delay) and no document is required, just tell IO during the interview. Good luck.

Thanks much for your insight. Do we need some court document or something to legally change the name or just mentioning it when we go for interview would do ?

Yes, it will cause some delay as IO will need to re-submit your a new name to name check/FBI/etc..

Why is FBI name check necessarty? You request for a name change but you have not used that name yet so it is meaningless to redo
a FBI name check. It is different from you did another name after filing N400 and before interview

I think delay is usually caused by the fact if name change is requested, then oath will have to be done in a court outside USCIS.
This usually result in a later date

Have you done your FPs?

Why is FBI name check necessarty? You request for a name change but you have not used that name yet so it is meaningless to redo
a FBI name check. It is different from you did another name after filing N400 and before interview

I think delay is usually caused by the fact if name change is requested, then oath will have to be done in a court outside USCIS.
This usually result in a later date

I think they can enter both names at Fingerprint time and new name can go under other names while app can still be under old name.

Check out http://www.immipros.com which has answers to tons of N400 related questions and also has sample tests.

hi all,
Something went wrong in my naturalization process (i blame myself for not paying attention) and my middle name is missing in both naturalization certificate and also in my US passport. My US passport is issued in Jan 2010, so still it is less than one year old. I am trying to find out how to add middle name to my US passport. Some of the documents like SSN, driver license etc. have middle name in it. Any suggestions? I really want to have middle name added in my US passport to avoid any future issues.