Name change after GC

Engineer

Registered Users (C)
I got my GC passport stamp on 5/17/2001. I am still waiting for the plastic card (message hasn\'t even change to "order" yet). Here is my problem.

I have been using name firstname: xxxxx middlename: yyyyzzzz lastname: hhhh for 10 years since the first day I came to U.S. as a foreign student. All my documents (e.g. social security card, driver license, school records, ...) are under this name except my passport. Here is the name under my passport: firstname: yyyy zzzz lastname: hhhh. Since my green card has to be matched my passport name, my green card will be under yyyy zzzz hhhh as well. Now, I would like to change my name from yyyy zzzz hhhh back to xxxx yyyyzzzz hhhh legally. I got the court paper and was ready to turn in I-90. However, local INS officer told me that I need to have my plastic card in order to file I-90.

The first problem I am facing right now is the name on my tax return next year. I would need to use yyyy zzzz hhhh if the name hasn\'t been changed at that time yet.

1. Any advice?

2. How long does it usually take for name change after I-90?

3. Is there anyway to get name change before getting the plastic card?

No Title

Hi,

Can you tell us how did you change your name from court. Is this a simple procedure? and how much time and money this costs?

regards

No Title

You should be able to find out the detail from your local Civil Court. I went to my local Civil court and fill out name-change-request form. Then they setup an court appointment for me which was more than a month later. Before the appointment day, I need to post my name change request to a local newspaper for 4 consecutive weeks (once a week). On the appointment day, I just need to show up and got the court approval letter (since no objection from other people).

Total cost: ~$200
    court fee: $195
    newspaper: $30