n400

platinumovergol

Registered Users (C)
hey guys,

my wifes sister wants to file her n400 but in march she had a $60.00 ticket that she did not pay so the dmv gave a court date to plead.anyways 2 days before her court date she decided to pay the fine and didnt show up to court(i know,shes crazy).anyways she got pull over and was carried directly to court to see judge.my question is this would this apply to the 5yr crime free window or can she submit a copy of court papers to show that it was a misunderstanding as the judge just told her that next shes time need to show up to court as long as she has a court date.

thanks

I would say, collect all court documents and dispositions, and apply. My best guess is that if she notes this in the application and is prepared with the documents she might be successful. What is not clear to me is whether she paid 2 days before court date or just decided to pay. If she didn't pay at all and ignored the court date that could be a bigger problem. Anyway, worse that can happen is that she gets denied, but it is possible she will get approved as the initial ticket was for a small amount. However, take into account that I don't have any experience or expertise on this, just that I don't recall anybody getting in trouble over something like this.

thanks you your reply, yes she did pay ,she just thought that paying meant she didnt have to show up at court, i figure she was trying to avoid court.

thank you again.

It's not the ticket that could cause denial, it's the (initial) failing to pay and not showing up for court that might be a problem.

When did this happen? If it was 4.5 years ago, I'd say wait out the 5 years then apply. But if it is a recent incident, might as well apply now and see what happens, rather than wait another 5 years.

As long as she has paid the fine(s) and gets a court certified case disposition, she should be fine.