N400 Receipt with Exception - why?

vvrok

Registered Users (C)
Just got the receipt notices for my and my wife's N-400 applications submitted to Vermont at the end of January. My wife's notice is a simple one: "... application has been received by our office and is in process." However my receipt notice says in addition:

".. but has been noted with one or more of the following exception(s): your application was missing evidence(s) that you will need to provide at the time of your naturalization interview. You will be notified under separate notice of the necessary evidence(s) that you will be requered to bring to your interview."

What does it mean? Both my and my wife's applications are almost identical. (I personally worked on both of them.) Th only differences that I can think of were the fact that my wife did not have any traffic tickets and I did (but I submitted an attachment with the details of those tickets), and the second possible sticky point could be related to Selective Services (I did not register because I was over 26 when I got my GC.) Which one of the two is the missing item? How often do people get these receipts with exception?