N400 Questions: Please advise

herndon_va

Registered Users (C)
1. In N-400 application, it asks for "List Below all the trips of 24 hrs or more that you have taken outside of the United States since becoming a Lawful Permanent Resident". Do we have to include Canada trips in N-400 application. I went couple of times to Canada for long weekends.

2. I am applying next week. Once I apply, I am going to India for couple of months. In these couple of months, I am expecting Finger Printing notification. What happens if I miss the Finger Print date?.

My application is FairFax DO

Please advise.

Since Canada is not USA...the answer is Yes :D

You can just go and get fingerprinted when you come back but I think there is a timeframe that you have to do it in. I think it's like 90 days after the date on your fingerprint notice.

Not 100% sure though...maybe someone else can chime in on fingerprinting.

FP appointments seem to be coming back pretty quickly at the moment - somewhere around the 4-6 week mark. Maybe you should wait for FP before going abroad.

Yes, Canada is not the US - shouldn't that be obvious :)

Canada trips, since they don't stamp your passport, can be a pain. But, hey, I'm Canadian, virtually all of my trips were to Canada, so you don't get much sympathy from me :).

I'd suggest mailing the application immediately on your return (or having a friend mail it a few weeks before your return). Or, delay your trip till after the FP appointment

Thanks All.
I understand Canada is not in U.S. The only thing is like you said, there is no stamping on the passport when you go to Canada. Like when I go to India, they stamp the day you leave, they stamp when you get in. Not with Canada.

hmm, I guess I need to rethink abt my fingerprinting thing.

People have reported that it is in the FP notice letter that "if you failed to appear at scheduled date and fail to request rescheduling, your application will be considered abandoned". It seems in general, the fingerprint gets done within first 2 months for most people. Perhaps you want to delay the trip until it is done.