N400 - Name check twice

P400A

Registered Users (C)
My birth certificate has my name without initials and my name in passport has with my
initials expanded. All along USCIS has gone by the name in my passport (with initials expanded).

I had submitted N400 with my name as it appears in my GC/Passport with full name
and initials expanded.

At the end of the N400 interview, I was told that my NC is still pending and that
I would have to wait until I am cleared.

I go for an INFOPASS after three weeks and then find out that my NC is cleared.
I wait for my oath letter for the next three weeks. Nothing shows up, I go for another
INFOPASS and this time the IO at the infopass counter gave me the same reply
that my name check has been cleared and that I would have to wait. I was not willing to
take that answer and repeatedly questioned if NC is not pending why is my file
still kept pending. After a lot of questioning the infopass officer goes into the
file room and comes back with my case folder. As shocking as it sounds the officer
tells me that I have been submitted for a Name Check the second time, that is correct
a SECOND TIME!

This time they have submitted my name without the initials. So is this the process
that a person gets name checked once with initials expanded and then once without.
They had both names on file since day 1 of my GC processing, why would they not check
both names the first time, why wait for 9 mos for the first one to clear and then
submit the second one.

The irony is Name 1 also has Name 2 part of it:
Name 1: Axxxxx Bxxxxx Cxxxx Dxxxx (Axxxxx Bxxxxx being my initials expanded)
Name 2: Cxxxxx Dxxxxx

What would be the need to check name 2 again if it was already part of name 1, dont they
slice and dice all parts of the name when they do a name check. So if name 1 came out clear
why would name 2 need another round of clearance?

I guess I just dont have a choice but have to wait for the second NC to clear.
The first one took 9 months to clear!!!

During N400 interview the IO does not say anything about NC to be done twice. The first one
was pending when I finished my interview. 3 weeks later I find out the first one is cleared.
6 weeks after interview I find out that I have been submitted for a name check the second time!

May be after another 9 months I may find out that there would a third NC!!! Just not
sure as to what the name would be for the third NC, may be it would be a combination of
both name 1 and name 2!

The NC saga continues...

That is indeed unfortunate. You are right that the name check is done with all kinds of combination. First and last name reversed, with or without middle initial, different phonetics, etc. It seems the second check would be unnecessary. However, I suppose the second check is initiated by the interviewing officer and only he can verify the reasons for it.

equate said:
That is indeed unfortunate. You are right that the name check is done with all kinds of combination. First and last name reversed, with or without middle initial, different phonetics, etc. It seems the second check would be unnecessary. However, I suppose the second check is initiated by the interviewing officer and only he can verify the reasons for it.

So if and when I am granted US citizenship, would that be in the name
with initials or without initials, I guess that would be the discretion of the
adjudicating officer to decide what my name would be! My earlier
assumption was that it was either my parents or myself who decides
on how I am named.

My GC was approved with initials expanded and if N400 is approved without it
how am I supposed to change all my other credentials (DL, SSN etc.) as
this would not really be a name change as far as USCIS is concerned right?

In a way, you have decided when you submitted N-400.

I would expect the name shown exactly as in your application will be the name you'll get in your certificate of naturalization unless corrected by IO otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:
P400A

This is so unfortunate. My name in the birth certificate is different from what is on the passport and the interviewing officer told me the same thing as well.. 'Name check pending'. I have an infopass tomorrow and my fear is that i would be told the same thing 'second submission'.

I wonder if you and I had the same interviewing officer at Cherry Hill :(.