N400 Name Change

peeweemini

Registered Users (C)
I am going to submit N400 app through GC in the next few days. There's a part for the name change. I did not change my name when I got married due to hassles in GC replacement. But now I want to change my name in N400. I just put there my new name, but it says there USCIS does not have authority to change name. I read here somewhere that I can do this, but now not sure. Can I change it in N400, then using the citizenship certificate, change my name in SSS, driver's license? or is it the other way around. Do i need to get court order to change name? Is it after oath? or before applying or middle? I'm confused. Any help is greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

USCIS itself doesn't have the authority to change names, but for the naturalization process they handle the court paperwork behind the scenes to merge in the name change with naturalization. Then you show up at the oath to finalize your name change; a judge will be present for naturalization oaths where name changes are done.

However, if the only name change you want is to take your husband's last name, you don't need the full-blown name change process. Fill out the N-400 with your current name, then show the marriage certificate in the interview and tell the interviewer about the name change you want and that you want the naturalization certificate printed with the new name. After that is done, show the naturalization certificate and your marriage certificate to change your SSN, driver's license, etc.

Last edited by a moderator: