N400- fastest processing state & Us passport.

sri-IL

Registered Users (C)
Hello ALL,

I am residing in chicago,IL now and for that matter last 8 years. I can apply for my citizenship in Mar2008( 4 yrs & 9 months). Now My requirement is to get Citizenship fast with passport and if possible OCI or PIO or iNdian Visa as quickly as possible and leave for INdia for GOOD (so that kids can start their school by june/july 2008 when schools in India start)

I am ready to relocate to any place in USA to get this as quickly as possible. I assume Atlanta is the fastest place now with Interview+ oath taking place sametime and under 3 -4 months average.

1) Is atlanta the fastest place to get my citizenship. If so how many days before i have to relocate there ?
2) How much time it will take to get OCI Or PIO ? average timelines pl..
3) Is it ok to get Indian visa here in usa and then apply for OCI in India?
4) Whats your suggestion regarding Both husband & wife getting US citizenship? or its it better if only one apply?( We are not planning to coming back in immediate future.)
6) If everthing goes well how many days will chicago DO takes for N400 process and oath?

Any suggestions welcome.

thanks

Sri-IL

You are assuming that you won't get stuck in some name/background check. Also if you relocate to a new DO, then you have to wait 3 months before applying.
To answer a few of your qns that I know a little about
1) dunno, check the tracker
2) oci takes about 6-8 weeks, right now Chi has suspended accepting appl. Dunno about pio.

3) You can enter India and then start oci, not sure about pio.
4) If you own substantial assets in US, then it is better both are usc for estate tax purposes in case one of the couple dies.
6)check the tracker for Chi.

The main problem is name check which can take many months or years.
That depends on your luck and not whether you are in Atlanta or IL or wherever.

Its all your luck brother. If I were you , I would stay calm and not try to rush into any decision without looking at all the aspects of it. Please remember if you get stuck in name check, then it does not matter whether you belong to a fast DO or slow DO. Name check and DO speed are two entities that are non related.
Well wish you very good luck and I sincerely hope you dont get sucked into this black hole of name check.

understand the name check Issue

hoping that will not be an issue for me.... in that case which is the best place to apply for naturalization.

I am finding in chicago a time line from 6 - 8 months on avaregae
wheras atlanta it is 2-4 months an average.

So the question posed.

My requirement is to get Citizenship fast
Sri-IL,
I don't think it's realistically possible to plan. Wishful thinking only.
When I applied, people would get their natz certificates in roughly 3 months in Chicago. Couple of my co-workers did. I was hopeful too. And look at my signature now. It soon will not fit on a webpage .:) At this point I'm more interested in finding out how WOM-friendly my court district is.

How do you get internal information?

Hi Cybex,

I am curious to know how you get internal information such as "Name check initiated"?
Is there a way to track all these internal milestones?

how you get internal information such as "Name check initiated"?
Hi obajaj, I asked IO on InfoPass exactly that - when was my name check initiated? He looked at his computer's screen and told me the date.