N400 employment summary question

punk

Registered Users (C)
I was working at Company A, which was bought by B, and again B sold A to C.

Technically I am in the same place with my GC processed through B.

While giving my work history details in N400 what is the right way to say it?

A/B/C - Start -- End

or, give individual breakups

A -- Start -- END
B --
C--

Thank you.

I'd put whatever I thought made the most sense.

I believe they mostly use the work history as part of the "good moral character" and "physical presence" test (which are 5 year things). If you put "Drug Lord" as a position and "Gulf Cartel" as your employer -- well that's a bad thing :)

I'm guessing that they use your employment, combined with your address history to figure out whether you've maintained your residence and presence properly.

But, I may be wrong.

When I filled out my (and my wife's) N-400, I tried to relate each question back to the main criteria they use to judge you:

1. Good moral character
  2. Physical presence
  3. Continuous residence
  4. Attachment to the constitution
If you think that way, then when you get to a quandary like this you can ask yourself: "If I was an immigration officer trying to judge a candidate by the above standards, what would make the most sense". I expect that either way you do this will work.

So what you are saying::

A/B/C Start -- End makes more sense,
it basically shows, I was in the same place and there was a merger situation.

If you put "Drug Lord" as a position and "Gulf Cartel" as your employer -- well that's a bad thing :)

LMAO flydog :D thats just too funny!

If you are applying close to the 5yr anniversary of an employment-sponsored GC, USCIS will also use the employment history to look for supporting evidence that you did at some point work for your sponsoring employer. (At least thats what the adjudicators field manual says they do...).

I wouldn't sweat the details too much, because any lingering issues are easily clarified with the IO during interview. As much as anything, its your body-language and the way you deliver the answers that will give the IO confidence in your answers.