n-400 - Selective Service issue.

jnm

Registered Users (C)
I am currently a Permanent Resident and received my Green Card in 5/1985. I was born in 7/1958. Prior to receiving my Permanent Residency, I was on an H1 visa, issued in December, 1984. I had always been in legal non-immigrant status until receiving my green card. would I have needed to register for Selective Service?
I was looking at the Selective Service website http://www.sss.gov/fsmen.htm and saw that I fell into the category below:
“* Men born from March 29, 1957 to December 31, 1959 were never required to register because the registration program was not in operation at the time they turned 18. The requirement to register was reinstated in 1980 and applies to all men born on or after January 1, 1960.”
I have applied for n-400 and did not register for Selective Service as I didn\'t know I needed to. based on the comment above on the Selective Service did I ever need to register with Selective Service?

YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO GET ANY LETTER

Regards selective service and N 400.

Read - A GUIDE TO NATURALIZATION, by INS, Form M-476(Rev3/99).

Page 28.

Selective service. Male between 18-26 who lived in US during that age MUST register. BUT, male who first entered US AFTER they turned 26 years old are EXCEMPT from the requirement to register.

If you FIRST entered US AFTER you were 26 years old. If so you DO NOT have to contact the selective services for any letter.

Hope it helps.

d sm

Where Does It Say So?

Joe F

Where does it say that one HAS to get a letter even if they are excempt from registering in selective services?.
In Page 28 of the - A Guide To Naturalization - It clearly states that a. If older than 26 you do not have to register, b. ONLY if you are required to register, then you have to recieve a "status information letter" and send it along with your application to the INS.

Any Other experiences with the selective services??

Can any one else who are older than 26 when they first entered the country and went through the interview process clarify this issue please.

yes 18-26 yrs old

I agree IF you are 18-26 yeras old when you first arrive in USA and then stay here and apply for N-400, you need to get the letter as clearly stated in the Guide To Naturalisation book.. as ssen in page 28 AND page 34, where a check list of items to be submitted along with your application for N 400.. where it is clearly stated as follows:

If you did not register with selective service and you 1) are male, 2) are 26 years old or older, and 3) LIVED IN THE US in a status other than as a lawful nonimmigrant between the ages of 18 and 26, SEND: status information letter.

i.e IF you are older than 26 at the time of applying for N400, BUT have lived in US in ANY visa category between 18-26 THEN you must furnish such a letter.

I agree with you that it is easy to get the letter and to take it along with you. BUT it is not necessary as cearly enunciated in the GUIDE, UNLESS the rules have since chnaged.

In the link you provided, the author states HER husband got his green card just after he was 26, which means in most likelyhood, he entered US when he was between 18-26 yeras old in some other visa category. So YES, he is by law obliged to get the letter with him for the interview.

Dress code for Interview

Hi All, Does anyone know the dress code for Citizenship Interview??? Ive interview on June 19,2002. Also, does anyone know how long it takes to get the oath notice after interview??
Thanks in advance.

"...status other than lawful non-immigrant..."

I am confused. other than lawful non-immigrant to me means unlawful non-immigrant. However, I was on an H1 visa (hence non-immigrant) and I was LAWFUL and between 18-26 while on various H1 visas.
so it is not clear to me in that circumstance that I needed to register, the key being lawful & non-immigrant. when I switched to green card (immigrant status)I was over 27 - therefore beyond the Selective Service registration age. I am totally fine with the idea of registering with Selective Services but I am too old at this point. I believe I followed the logic of the law by not having registered previously. my issue was not having the n-400 clerks give me a rough time at citizenship interview & what was the best way to deal with this issue. it may be a non-issue as I see it but my logic may not be INS logic. thanks for the responses. I have written to Selective Services & will let them have their say.

Selective Service, N400 and Atlanta

Is there anyone who by the time he got his green card was between the age of 18 and 26 and never registered with selective service and despite all that was still able to get his Citizenship based on the letter they received from Selective Service Authority? I am in this position an my interview is coming up soon. I am doing this just to know how to best prepare myself. Should anyone also know of an attorney in Atlanta. who can help tackle this seeming problem. I will indeed appreciate phone number and name of the attorney.
Thanks to you all for been sincere and frank in this forum.

The letter may not be necessary if you are exempted.

I entered US before I was 26 and got GC when I was in 27.
I\'d never registered Selective Service cause I was not
required to do so. In citizenship interview, the officer
asked my date of birth, and I could tell he was calculating
to see if I was between 18-26 when I got my GC approved.
He didn\'t ask me to show any letter and move on to some
other questions. I think if you are not required to register,
you don\'t need the letter. However, if you were in 26-27,
some officers may get confused about how 26 is supposed to be
determined, then it is safe to get a letter in case.
If you were in 18-26, then you definately need the letter.

Notification from Selective Service - men born between 3/28/57-1/1/60

I just received a letter from Selective Service System that men born between March 28, 1957 and before January 1, 1960 were not required to register with the Selective Service System. I fall into that period and thought I would share that information with this board. Thank you to all that responded to this issue.