N-400 Question

donsarpong

On part 9 of the n400 application form, there is a question that asks "how many sons and daughters HAVE you had". Now does this mean since becoming a lawful permanent resident or how many kids do you have in total?. I have a son who was born outside of the US (before i came here for studies). Do i need to answer "1" to that question even though he does not qualify yet?. If i answer "0" will that be used against me in the future because technically it is not true...

Thanks

Any kids you have ever had.

0 can be used in two ways.

1) That's lying. Not good.
2) If your son decides to reunite with you (assuming he hasn't yet) they might check your file and see that you actually had "0" children. Not good.

They want you to list all the children you EVER had, anywhere in the world: biological or adopted or stepchildren, inside or outside the US, before or after you became a permanent resident, US citizen or noncitizen, dead or alive.

You will have to list that son, and prove that you were paying child support since you stopped living with his mother until he turned 18, or prove that the government of that country or divorce agreement exempted you from paying child support.

Last edited by a moderator:
They want you to list all the children you EVER had, anywhere in the world: biological or adopted or stepchildren, inside or outside the US, before or after you became a permanent resident, US citizen or noncitizen, dead or alive.

You will have to list that son, and prove that you were paying child support since you stopped living with his mother until he turned 18, or prove that the government of that country or divorce agreement exempted you from paying child support.

So once the child turns 18 you don't have to show proof of child support or do you still have to show no matter if over 18?

So once the child turns 18 you don't have to show proof of child support or do you still have to show no matter if over 18?

If the child is over 18 now, you still have to prove that you were paying child support since separating from the other parent until the child turned 18, or prove that you were exempt from having to pay child support.