N-400 Processing Time

choyty

Registered Users (C)
Does anyone know why N-400 processing time is not listed in the Service Center's processing time report? I have found processing time for N-470, and N-600 are reflected in the report, but why not N-400?

That is because the N-400 is processed at the local district offices. You should check the processing time for your local district office to get a very rough idea of how long it is currently taking.

Thanks Gabby. Do you know how to check the processing time from the local district office? Do they have any website? I am from NYC under VSC.

Local processing times

Local processing times are published by AILA and can be found on their WEB site (www.aila.org)
Also www.immigraion.com lists them. I don't know how accurate they are or what exactly do they mean.
In San Jose,CA it is supposed to take 180 days to process N-400 according to those reports. However, there's another thread on this forum with people waiting over a year for N-400 to process. Go figure:rolleyes:

Rough Estimates

Yes, I realize these numbers can't be exact but 180 and 400 days is a huge difference.
Does anybody know what these numbers mean? Why I read about people waiting over a year between filing and swearing in, yet the reports say 180 days? Can anyone exaplain, please?

George,

what report said 180 days? the only timeline for N400 I have seen was on ins website which said 9 months. I myself have waited 12 months now. I was interviewd on feb 6 2003, Finger p on sep 10 2002. A simmilar case to me got his oath letter 7 months after interview. God damn those terrorists, we are going through these troubles because of evil acts of those scums.

It's a mess

Lemmego:

The timeline I saw was on www.aila.org. These reports are also published on various sites (www.shusterman.com, www.immigraion.com, www.visalaw.com etc.) The number may vary among these sites only because they get updated irregularly. (AILA is the place I go to)

If you interviewed on February and still didn't get the oath letter you should find out what's going on. OK, maybe you have already done that. It's just that I've been lurking on various forums for awhile now and there's a general consensus that if it takes more than 8 weeks (or so) to get the oath date there must have been something wrong.

It puzzles me how on earth do these guys work (BCIS). It obviously isn't on first come first serve basis since the processing times vary so much between applicants in one center.

Oh, on the note of terrorists... those MFs sure did create a mess but don't let BCIS blame only them! They [INS or whatever their name is now] have had a mess of their own before the tragic events.

I wish you a lots of luck and that you get the oath date soon! And please let us know how the things are going.

N400

Geroge,

Those sites include some good info but they are not official. you said if it takes more than 8 weeks something is wrong, not necessarily. look at ashleyt and svs303 in this forum, more than 5 months for both and there are more. I have done all i can though. i just started sending out mails from ashcroft down. I think it depends on nationality too, I am iranian. being from a country listed as axis of evil sure does not help. I agree with you that BcIS hasnt done a good job. They are restructuring the whole thing though, think about the terrorist who recieved his approval letter 6 months after 9/11. I can only do the best I can and wait. Whats your timeline? I wish you luck.

To Choyty

Depends were you live as to how long it takes.

I applied as follows

N400 sent to Texas service centre
Received Receipt with date 5 July 2002
Had finger prints taken in November 2002
Have still not been called for interview
I phone to enquire about delays
They now say takes between 770 and 900 days to process.
After interview if all is approved - we will have to wait again for Oath ceremony (perhaps 3 - 6 months)
We live in Orlando, Florida.

So expect a long wait.

N400

Suzie,
is yours being processed in Nebraska? my timeline is somewhat close to yours;
Applied: july 2002
FP: sep 2002
Interview: feb 2003
waiting on oath letter
what nationality are you, I think that makes a difference.
Who said 700-900 days? is there any official site to confirm that?
good luck.

Lemmego,

It greatly depends on where you apply. There are huge differences among local(district) offices and of course processing centers.

My timeline is not that rellevant right now. I applied only few months ago. There are people who have been waiting for 12-18 months on this board.

And the fact that you are Iranian right now.... although it's illegal to discriminate against national origin, they might be processing some other "non- standard" background checks on you. But that's just my speculation, I haven't heard in anywhere.

Lemmego

I filed through Texas Service Center

Local Office will be Orlando.

Have NOT yet been called for my interview.

I got the stime scale from calling the central phone number as it has been over a year now since I filed the N400. Receipt note quoted a time delay of 365 days but if you check status on the computer the time scale is different.
When I telephoned yesterday they said there is a delay and I should be called for interview within the next 6 months.
Then if all ok will have to wait for Oath.

Some areas are lucky and get the whole thing processed within 6 months. I must be unlucky I guess - punishment for living in the sunshine state.