N-400 Mailed Status: Notice Left

andrews

Hello there:
I mailed my N-400 via priority mail on 03/16/07. I have received the following update from the USPS web site and this is the status:
"Status: Notice Left

We attempted to deliver your item at 12:32 PM on March 20, 2007 in MESQUITE, TX 75185 and a notice was left. It can be redelivered or picked up at the Post Office. If the item is unclaimed, it will be returned to the sender. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later. "
Have anyone experience something like this? What does this actually mean? Is there an Officer in charge of picking up the mail or shouldn't it be delivered to the PO box address? I am getting paranoic!:eek:

Hello there:
I mailed my N-400 via priority mail on 03/16/07. I have received the following update from the USPS web site and this is the status:
"Status: Notice Left

We attempted to deliver your item at 12:32 PM on March 20, 2007 in MESQUITE, TX 75185 and a notice was left. It can be redelivered or picked up at the Post Office. If the item is unclaimed, it will be returned to the sender. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later. "
Have anyone experience something like this? What does this actually mean? Is there an Officer in charge of picking up the mail or shouldn't it be delivered to the PO box address? I am getting paranoic!:eek:
Don't be. Give it 2-3 business days and check again. You will be fine.

I had exactly the same experience with the Texas office !!!!! I am sure it will be just fine in a couple of days ..... mine was.

thanks a lot for you answers. I had a very bad experience with USCIS before. My green card took quite over a thousand days :mad: to be processed and I am praying the same thing does not happen with my N-400. Thanks for your comments.

N-400 delivered

the USPS was updated at 5 am in the morning as delivered at Mesquite TX. WOW! these guys are up very early in the mornin I should then expect receipt date as of 03/21/2007??? let's wait and see! this is getting exciting now!;)

BTW: you will go nuts if you check everything every day. Sit back, relax, check your mail box every day, but otherwise, put it out of your mind. It will go faster that way.

BTW: you will go nuts if you check everything every day. Sit back, relax, check your mail box every day, but otherwise, put it out of your mind. It will go faster that way.
thanks a lot flydog! I was stucked with Name Check for my GC for about three years. I am just praying my God same thing does not happen now. My mother is desperately waiting for my US citizenship so that I can file for her to immigrato to the US. Lets see what happens! Thanks again for your support.:)

oh ya correctly said, I am getting nightmares.

oh ya correctly said, I am getting nightmares.

Okay - I think you are on to something here Fly-doggy-dog. Or should I just call you "Doctor Dog"?

I have been going nuts with this process and I know by most accounts when you see my case you will wonder why I'm worrying, but........ the closer you get the more agonizing it becomes. In our case, it's been close to 2 months since my wife's interview and nearly a month since mine. We have not yet received oath letters and as each day goes by, the anxiety builds up. I'm almost to the point where I can't even think of anything else - it's like everything is on hold - it's like a major mental block. And as far as the mailbox - well, lets put it this way - it's never looked cleaner on the inside - I can't remember the last time there was a piece of mail left in there past 3:45 p.m.:eek:

hello guys and gals:
I was shocked to see how fast USCIS took my money away from my bank account. The check cleared on 03/22/07,one day after they received my N-400 application. Unfortunately, the SSC*number is not legible at all, so I will have to wait for the actual NOA to arrive. Best luck to you all.

Okay - I think you are on to something here Fly-doggy-dog. Or should I just call you "Doctor Dog"?

I have been going nuts with this process and I know by most accounts when you see my case you will wonder why I'm worrying, but........ the closer you get the more agonizing it becomes. In our case, it's been close to 2 months since my wife's interview and nearly a month since mine. We have not yet received oath letters and as each day goes by, the anxiety builds up. I'm almost to the point where I can't even think of anything else - it's like everything is on hold - it's like a major mental block. And as far as the mailbox - well, lets put it this way - it's never looked cleaner on the inside - I can't remember the last time there was a piece of mail left in there past 3:45 p.m.:eek:

I know!

We applied in Sept 05. Our interview letter (for an interview the first week in May) didn't show up until the end of March - I was getting a little antsy, but, I knew they were slow.

We went on a small vacation in early/mid April and I drilled my wife on the 96 questions (she was very nervous about that). About a week later, I found out that my interview as "descheduled". That's not even a word!

So, I began a long summer of going nuts - InfoPasses once a month, trying to find a lawyer. In the end, it as all just caused by typical USCIS incompetence.

That was compounded by the fact that the USCIS was all in a tizzy trying to reduce the "backlog". In order to do that, they had redefined "backlog" as "any application that had absolutely nothing slow it down (even USCIS incompetence)". If you were on the "fast track", you could fly through the system. If you fell off for *any* reason, you weren't going to get any processing until the fiscal year ended.

Finally, I got an aid to my senator to intervene and my interview letter went out the day she phoned. 14.5 months after my PD I took my oath.

A couple of things to remember when you need to chill:

1. What ever you do, make sure that you stay on the fast track (try not to reschedule things, double check the checklist before submission, anticipate the IO's questions and bring stuff to the interview to help answer them
  2. Whenever you get anyone involved in your case, sympathy and empathy are important. As a result:
    • Don't cry wolf, wait until 6 months from PD goes by before engaging anyone, don't nag them,
    • Similarly, give the USCIS 4-6 weeks to do anything - that's their "think time". I'm pretty sure it takes them 4-6 weeks to decide to tie their shoes if they come untied.
    • Be very pleasant with whoever you are dealing with, particularly if you are trying to enlist them to your cause (like a congressman's or senator's immigration aid). You want them to believe that helping you right the USCIS's injustice is the best thing the can do that day
  3. As far as I can tell, the 800-number folks are only good in limited cases. They see the "major transactions" in your application. Other than that, all they can tell you is "your application is at stage X". The things they see are:
    • You application has been entered into the system
    • Your fingerprint notice has been sent
    • The date on your fingerprint notice has passed
    • The various checks have been completed
    • Your interview letter has been sent
    • The date on your interview letter has passed
    • Your oath letter has been issued
  4. From the time your interview letter is sent (or perhaps 3-5 weeks later) until the time you take the oath, the DO is the only place where you can find out what is happening. Asking the 800 number "why was my interview 'descheduled'?" or "why is my oath letter taking so long?" is like asking your dog "why is the sky blue?" The 800-number folks don't understand those questions.
  5. The default answer to "why is this taking so long?" is "It's probably the FBI's fault - you are probably in name check". Passing the buck is so easy - even if it's not true

So, my advice. Sit back, open your mail every day, and, when 4-6 week have passed since your interview (about now) take an InfoPass. Don't take "oh, it's probably a security check" as an answer. Press them (politely) to find out why. I was able to convince an InfoPass officer to request my file and to go over it (in the process I found out what happens to a letter you send the DO director asking "can you tell me what happened to my file" - they find your file and stick the letter in it).

It's important to actually take the InfoPass - I've seen several cases of the USCIS mis-addressing letters or them getting lost on this forum.

Don't worry so much. You have your interview completed, and the "congratulations" checkbox checked. They will send you an oath letter. I've been reading this forum for more than a year, and I've seen no one write "I got the congratulations letter, but they threw me into Name Check hell again". And, the 120 day clock has started counting - that's the only clock in the entire process.

It's March, and it's Texas, enjoy the wonderful spring weather. And don't worry, your oath letter will come.

Wow

Don't worry so much. You have your interview completed, and the "congratulations" checkbox checked. They will send you an oath letter. I've been reading this forum for more than a year, and I've seen no one write "I got the congratulations letter, but they threw me into Name Check hell again".

Wow FlyDog Wow! That one sentence you wrote just about made my weekend!....

Unfortunately, I'm not in a mood of writing tonight! It's late and yes, it's Austin, Texas - it's beautiful:p

I am now a little over my anxiety - I have gotten over that initial shock from yesterday when I heard those 2 officers cooly tell me that sec. checks are still pending on my wife and I. I can't tell you how surprised I was - mainly because from reading all the posts here and thinking that I was finally past that dreadful NC phase...... only to be reminded that maybe I wasn't. It was like a bad dream.

The thing that still makes me antsy is that the officers told me that it is very likely that the IO simply "jumped the gun", scheduled me for interview and "congratulated/recommended me for approval" without knowing that the FBI sec. checks weren't completed. In fact when I was transferred at the 800# to an IO I was told that there are 2 databases - 1 shows "scheduled for oath", the other shows "pending FBI check"...... Does that seem plausible to you?

I'll take your advice and hunker down for the weekend. I'll also do an infopass since 3/28/2007 will make 1 month since my int.

Last edited by a moderator:
hello guys and gals:
I was shocked to see how fast USCIS took my money away from my bank account. The check cleared on 03/22/07,one day after they received my N-400 application. Unfortunately, the SSC*number is not legible at all, so I will have to wait for the actual NOA to arrive. Best luck to you all.

check clearing one day after receipt is almost unbelievable. I have never heard of that.

I hope things work out fast for you.